Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
My Device: 8900

MAPI & CDO errors

Hi,

I have been playing with the BES RK and in particular the mapcdoerror tool.

I ran the tool against one 24hr MAGT logfile and it has generated a 75 mb csv file with errors.

We have around 1600 users on the BES against 7 Exchange 2003 servers.

I have just started looking at this and it is not the way I would like it. I think another BES (at least) is required to split the load across the messageing servers so 2 BES each with only 4 mail servers attached.

What I want to know is should we really be seeing so many MAPI & CDO errors. Seems like a lot to me and errors are never a good thing.

Does anyone else use the MAPI CDO error tool and what sort of results are they getting?

Thanks...R.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: MAPI & CDO errors

If you'd like, zip up a set of the days logs and email it to BBAndyDufresne@gmail.com. Please also make sure to include a link to this thread so I know what the message is referencing / where to respond.

I'll post back any relevant content removing anything personally identifiable / confidential.

7 mail servers ... 1600 users ... I bet you're having some significant threading issues if you haven't made any changes to the default configuration.

Send me a pm too.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What sort of errors are you getting?

Do the mapi32.dll and cdo.dll versions on the BES match the versions on your mail servers?

Steve

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

And splitting the load (So each BES services fewer mailbox servers- BES 1 services users from MLBX1-4, BES 2 services users from MLBX5-7 or whatever) is a good thing.  You cut down the number of MAPI connections each BES has to make, so you get better performance.  You will see lower CPU and Memory usage.  But 1600 users on a BES is doable with 7 Mail servers.  Alot of it depends on the mailboxes... if you have users sitting out there with large mailboxes (700MB and up) they tend to slow things down a bit too...

So if you have the means for another BES, I would do it... but either way, you shouldnt be seeing that many MAPI/CDO errors.  Make sure your file versions match (from my previous post)...

Look at your MAGT log file- it should hve lines like this which tell you the versions the BES is using...

[30000] (09/17 00:00:00.244):{0x1708} [ENV] MAPI32.DLL: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAPI32.dll, Version: x.x.x.x
[30000] (09/17 00:00:00.369):{0x1708} [ENV] CDO.DLL: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdo.dll, Version: x.x.x.x

Compare those versions to what's on your Exchange Servers... if they don't match, you need to copy them over, register the cdo.dll and restart the server. I am pretty sure there is an article on the support site for the exact process...

Steve

Message Edited by ssantoni on 09-18-2008 09:08 AM
Developer
My Device: 8900

Steve,

Thanks for the info... I have seen the MAPI & CDO info about them being the same. I do need to get this checked though I hvae not yet.

Should the MAPI & CDO versions map across all mail and bes servers in the environment?

Also... On the large mail box thing, from what I understand as well as large mailboxes being an issue there is issues with a users mail files having a large number of folders within them.

We seem to get spikes on the exchange servers and BES is the culprit with around 45% of the cpu usage overall.

Is this normal?

My BES background is more from domino so I appreciate the exchange info!

New Contributor

Yes, you want to the cdo/mapi versions on the BES to match the ones in Exchange (this used to cause weird calendar issues, but I have not seen any problems since we matched them)...  Exhange should all match each other- assuming all your servers are the same version (they should be from a supportability point of view- same version, same service packs, etc).

Yes, large number of folder can affect it, lots of big attachments... many things can affect the BES-mailbox interaction.

Use Task Manager to see what's causing the spikes... do you run BlackBerry Attachment Service?  Often times, CPU spikes are just someone opening/viewing an attachment from their device...  But generally, you should have fairly low CPU usage. (ours average under 5% and we have 1200+ users per BES).

Disclaimer... - all my comments are from an Exchange perspective... I don't know how other versions work...

:-)

Steve