Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: 9900 Bold
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

MMS Messaging problem

A question related to MMS messaging and the IT Policies that allow/disallow this either directly or indirectly.  I've read that Enable WAP Config must be enabled for MMS messaging to function. My question is if this policy must be implicitly set to Allow/Yes to allow MMS messaging or is leaving it blank (default) sufficient?

If the latter is sufficient, we have users who cannot send or receive MMS messages and the other IT Policy for MMS messaging is set to Yes already.  I've also checked local device settings under the firewall settings and Push settings and everthing there seems to be configured ok for MMS as well.

Specifically, the nature of the issue is that any MMS message that is sent to a user simply never shows on the device even though other users on outside devices do.  I would understand a message that says the content was stripped out, but that doesn't even happen in our case.

I work in an environment where I have Read Only access to the IT Policies and so cannot change any, but will have to request changes once I have all my research done.  Where can I look now for this?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Blackberry Classic
My Carrier: Swisscom

Re: MMS Messaging problem

Setting the MMS and WAP policy to default is enough.

The configuration of MMS is very carrier specific, so I would take a BB device, do a factory reset (so there are no policies on the device) and check if MMS is working. If not, you should discuss this with the carrier.

If you can send MMS, activate the device with the policy and see if MMS still work. If not, it must definitely be some policy interfering with it.
New Contributor

I'm going to try that today, but I really don't think the carrier is the issue as this is happening on multiple carriers.  It has to be (in my mind) an IT Policy that is affecting this.  At least that's what my experience tells me. 

Thanks for the help. 

New Contributor

So, just as I suspected.  The MMS function works flawlessly before being added to the BES.  Once there it ceases to function to send or receive. 

So I'm back to square one.  This is most definetly a policy related issue in my case.  Problem is that it would seem that it's another rule that while not directly related to MMS on the face is a secondary cause of the issue.  The browser force to the BlackBerry Browser would seem to most likely culprit wouldn't it?  Use of the IBS Browse is denied by policy.  Is this the cause?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I've located the source of the problem.  KB15242 states that the Allow Other Browser Services must be enabled for MMS to work.  In our IT Policy, this is disabled.  This will break MMS functionality even when Enable WAP Config is set to Yes and Disable MMS is set to False.

Now to get the guys programming the IT Policies to realize how they broke it and get them to fix it!