Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

MSSQL 2005 licensing

Can anyone point me to a document that explains what I need to buy in terms of SQL licensing for my BES server?  We have about Blackberry 100 users, so I'm assuming that we should be looking at per server licensing, but I'm not 100% sure exactly if that is the way to go.  I'm guessing that if we have 100 BES users, I need 100 per user licenses for MSSQL?

Any tips or a pointer to documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: 8900

Re: MSSQL 2005 licensing

Phil,

You shouldn't need to use MSSQL for 100 users.

Use MSDE it is free and BES install installs it for you!

You don't need to worry.

New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

At what point should I be looking to move from MSDE to MSSQL (specific # of users?)?  What functionality do I lose by sticking with MSDE?

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MSDE can handle 500 users.

SQL is nice but pricy just for BES.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer

This will really depend on what hardware you have and what redundancy you want to put in place.

I would stick with MSDE for upto 500 users.

I would think it is time to go to MSSQL then and especially if you want to have more than one BES attached to the same DB.

The BES is not to transaction heavy on the DB and I believe mail will still flow if the DB goes down. As long as the services a running still. Services will not start without the DB.

Developer

JINX!!

At least we both recommend the same!!!

Smiley Very Happy

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

The only user touching SQL is the BESAdmin account.  If you choose to not use MSDE you'll just need 1 user CAL for SQL.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/multiplexing.mspx

many users are touching it with the BESAdmin account.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

This is not multiplexing.

Copied from the MS Article:

Sometimes organizations develop network scenarios that use various forms of hardware and/or software that reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software on a particular server, often called "multiplexing" or "pooling" hardware or software. Use of such multiplexing or pooling hardware and/or software does not reduce the number of client access licenses (CALs) required to access or use SQL Server software. A CAL is required for each distinct device or user to the multiplexing or pooling software or hardware front end. This remains true no matter how many tiers of hardware or software exist between the server running SQL Server and the client devices that ultimately use its data, services, or functionality. An exception to this includes the manual transfer of data from employee to employee. For example, if an employee sends a Microsoft Excel version of a report to another employee, the receiving employee does not require a CAL. An additional exception is communication exclusively between the servers running SQL Server.

Users DO NOT access the SQL database.  In fact, if the BES services are started and the SQL server / database is dropped BES along with most functions (including message delivery) will continue to operate.  The SQL database is used as a repository for information that the BESAdmin account references.  Users never access this information, directly or indirectly.

Many users are NOT touching the database with the BESAdmin account.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

[ Edited ]
So, there seems to be a difference of opinion.  What are the chances that a Microsoft licensing rep will actually know the answer to this question? If we only require a single user CAL, we'll likely go MSSQL, but if it requires more than that then it isn't feasible.
Message Edited by phil1969 on 09-02-2008 01:19 PM