Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: MSSQL 2005 licensing

[ Edited ]

No, ultimately at this point it really doesn't matter what RIM says.  You've got a difference of opinion between two companies, but we basically have to go with what the one who's software is in question says.  The alternative is to ignore them and go ahead and use it against what they claim, and risk some type of legal action?  Nah, not worth it in our situation.  We wanted to use MSSQL because it integrates with our backup methodology more easily, but backing up MSDE isn't that much more onerous.

It's not surprising that RIM doesn't have any written statement on how MSSQL should be licensed.  It is probably a bad practice for RIM representatives to be commenting on it at all.  Not their product. 

I have found Microsoft licensing to be vague many times in the past, with a variety of interpretations out there (Terminal Services CALs come to mind), and this is no different.  Nobody is really served here, as we lose a little bit of "nice to have" functionality, and Microsoft makes no sale whatsoever, but so be it.

Regardless, thanks for your help. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by phil1969 on 09-04-2008 12:43 PM
Developer
My Device: 8900

Phil,

A couple of things you should consider if you are going to stick with the MSDE version.

The database will be limited to a size of 2GB. Not really an issue as you will not get anywhere near this with a small number of users.

The workload govenor limits the connections to the DB. If you have a lot of admimistrators that plan to connect using Remote BlackBerry Manager you may limit the performance of the BES. If you plan to log on to the BES server using RDP and use BBMgr locally this is not an issue, but you will probably be limited to 2 RDP sessions depending on MS licensing.

Also you may wish to think how you will upgrade the DB in the future.

I think with MSDE you are going to be limited to an inplace upgrade option only. This means that the service will be down when you need to do an upgrade.

There are other upgrade options such as Phased & Cutover which result in a lower downtime. However you would need a remote SQL db to perform these.

Good luck

Rob

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

As an FYI ... the database itself is not limited to 2gb nor is it limited in connection amounts, but rather MSDE is limited.  Moving the database is as simple as following: KB12247 - How to move from an MSDE database to a Microsoft SQL Server database
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
IP
New Contributor

I have spent a lot of time researching this.  Any comment RIM makes regarding MS licensing is invalid.  They have no authority to interpret or speak for MS and their licensing models.  Any MS licensing rep or expert will tell you that this is Multiplexing and you require 1 SQL CAL per device. There is no way around it.  It is not the single BESadmin account that is accessing the SQL server, it is the consolidation of multiple AD user accounts through the BESadmin account that makes this multiplexing.  I suspect that RIM is vague because they don't want to scare off sales.  Unless you already have per processor licensing for SQL, stick with MSDE or SQL 2005 Express until you have to move to SQL.  At that point per processer licesing makes the most sense and you won't have to worry about SQL CALs.  
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

IP wrote:
I have spent a lot of time researching this.  Any comment RIM makes regarding MS licensing is invalid.  They have no authority to interpret or speak for MS and their licensing models.  Any MS licensing rep or expert will tell you that this is Multiplexing and you require 1 SQL CAL per device. There is no way around it.  It is not the single BESadmin account that is accessing the SQL server, it is the consolidation of multiple AD user accounts through the BESadmin account that makes this multiplexing.  I suspect that RIM is vague because they don't want to scare off sales.  Unless you already have per processor licensing for SQL, stick with MSDE or SQL 2005 Express until you have to move to SQL.  At that point per processer licesing makes the most sense and you won't have to worry about SQL CALs.  

This conversation kills me ... because I've had the discussion with both MS and RIM, and can't get either to put the answer on paper.  That said, the end user, the BlackBerry user, never accesses data on the SQL server.  The BlackBerry Configuration database is merely a storage location for BES / BPS to keep its data and reference that data.  That said, once you get into Role-based Administration where you have actual users accessing / manipulating data in the database I could see the argument for multiplexing ... but as an end user that not only never accesses the data but has no access to the data, I can't see how it falls under the multiplexing clause.

Until someone at RIM or MS legal tells me otherwise, that is the story I'm sticking too.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Retired

Hello Everyone,

We greatly appreciate the responses that have been posted regarding this topic.

The official stance from Research In Motion is that we do not have jurisdiction over the licensing of third-party products and therefore, if customers have any concerns or questions about the database licensing requirements for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, they should direct them to the vendor of their database application. The applicable vendors are best-suited to provide the information that is required. Additionally, we have posted an article on the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center which states this stance publicly:

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center - KB11866