Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Migration of BES / Exchange

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

I need some advice / remarks:

Currenlty, a customer has BES and exchange 2003 hosted on an ISP. He want to internalise these resources and migrate exchange 2003 to exchange 2007.

1) As far as I have understand, I will have to shut down the current BES in order to fill the same licence key on the new one ?

2) Is it possible to keep the current BES configuration (I mean users with affected devices, Licence key, SRP, etc...) and upload it on the new one or have I to recreate users and reaffect devices (in this case, all data on devices are kept?)

EDIT: I found that I can export user list and SRP id and key with the MMC. So I guess the only thing I have to is to import these to the new BES server and then change the exchange server in the MAPI. Someone can confirm?

3) Is there some documentation about this last point (reinstall new BES with same SRP, etc...)

If someone can help or if someone have already encounter this problematic, it would be helpful.

Best regards,

Arcastor

Message Edited by arcastor on 08-20-2008 10:26 AM
Message Edited by arcastor on 08-20-2008 10:42 AM
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Migration of BES / Exchange

How are the mailboxes being moved from Exchange 2003 to 2007?

Unless all mailboxes stay within the same Exchange Organization everyone will have to wipe and reactivate.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you say within the same Exchange Organization, you asked if we keep the same domain? If it is your question yes, we keep the current domain.

We want to keep all as the current state, except that we will install Exchange 2007 instead 2003 and probably latest BES version instead an older.

My goal is to avoid to wipe Devices and data and reactivation if possible.

EDIT: Some precisions: they will keep their current domain and change it some times after the migration. 

Message Edited by arcastor on 08-21-2008 01:44 PM
Forums Veteran II

arcastor wrote:

When you say within the same Exchange Organization, you asked if we keep the same domain? If it is your question yes, we keep the current domain.

>> No, that is not what I mean.  Are the servers in the same Exchange Organization.  The Exchange Organization is a logical boundry for BES.  Do you know what an Exchange Organization is?  It is not an Active Directory domain, or an email domain.

We want to keep all as the current state, except that we will install Exchange 2007 instead 2003 and probably latest BES version instead an older.

My goal is to avoid to wipe Devices and data and reactivation if possible.

>> This is 100% accomplishable if the servers are in the same Exchange Organization; if they are not, everyone will have to wipe and reactivate.  No way around this.

EDIT: Some precisions: they will keep their current domain and change it some times after the migration. 

Message Edited by arcastor on 08-21-2008 01:44 PM

Contributor

Thanks for help AndyDufresne,

No I don't know what is an Exchange Organization. Could you explain me please ? Smiley Happy

Rgds,

Arcastor 

Forums Veteran II

Exchange Topologies

An Exchange Organization is a logical boundry by which typically a given mail environment of a company fits.  It can span multiple Active Directory domains but has a limit of a forest.

Typically you can think of its boundary as "Can I access another users mailbox through the Global Address List?" ... if you can answer this with a 'Yes', then you are in the same Exchange Organization.  Test this via Outlook and opening another users mailbox.

Contributor

Thanks a lot.

I have some precisions after a meeting with the customer.

We will change Exchange organisation and wipe all BB devices.

Question: How do I backup data on BB devices and upload it after BES reinstallation and BB devices activation? 

Thanks by advance,

Arcastor 

Highlighted
Forums Veteran II

arcastor wrote:

Thanks a lot.

I have some precisions after a meeting with the customer.

We will change Exchange organisation and wipe all BB devices.

Question: How do I backup data on BB devices and upload it after BES reinstallation and BB devices activation? 

Thanks by advance,

Arcastor 

You need to use Desktop Manager.  This is a manual one by one process you'll have to follow.