Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Monitor/Track Internet Surfing

Hi,

I'm new to Blackberry and i need some help. Is there any way to monitor/track the internet usage on the BB phone using the Blackberry Enterprise Server 4.1. Appreciate if anyone out there can help me. Thanks...

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Monitor/Track Internet Surfing

Hi and welcome to the forums. 

Tracking the usage as in how much they have downloaded in Mb per month no.

Tracking where they have been yes.

But only if you lock down their browser to the BlackBerry Browser and block acceess to the other browsers with an IT Policy.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Hi,

The objective is to track where they have been. So it's yes. Good.

Means i need to set an IT policy for the user to browse the internet using blackberry browser only. Right?

Then how can i generate the report to see which website they surf?

Does this work if the user roaming from oversea?

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

[ Edited ]

blackberry browser only for it to work. 

First you need to do this. 

How to use IT policy rules to disable browsers on the BlackBerry smartphone

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15242

and read

Create, assign, view, and send IT policies

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02022

Then you need to be able to scour BES logs after for the info.

Yes it works while roaming too.

Message Edited by knottyrope on 09-13-2009 11:10 PM

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

I don't understand this part;

"Then you need to be able to scour BES logs after for the info"

Is this the way to view the report? How to do it?

Many2 thanks

Guru III
My Device:

Open the BlackBerry Server Configuration application in the start menu and you should see a logging tab.  It'll point you to where the logs are kept.

Then with a log parser you can get the info you need.

get it here

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displa...

That is all I use

Highlighted
New Contributor

You can also use the BlackBerry Resource Kit (page 75 if you're reading the 4.1.6 guide) and the mdspushvspull command to parse the MDAT logs. I haven't tried it with the previously mentioned log parser app, it may work the same. I have used the mdspushvspull app and all it requires is a copy of the server logs (see previous post on how to find where your logs are being stored) folder for the day you want to review. The output will be a csv file that will detail who (by PIN) is surfing where, as long as they are using the BlackBerry Browser.

The command is something like this: mdspushvspull.exe [platform] [log location] [output file]

The readme will have all the details and examples.

The output is:

type, source, destination, date, time, port and size

The ones to focus on are the source (user's BB PIN) and destination. I believe that there are other reports in the Resource Kit to dump the PIN's to a file. You will have to somehow link a PIN to a user name to make it more friendly.

At this point you'd have to decide if this is a one-off and you only need to check if someone ask you to research a particular user, or if you need to compile monthly reports. If you situation is the latter you'd need to run these reports daily against the logs.