Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

NBES.exe spikes CPU since 4.1.6 upgrade

Since the upgrade to 4.1.6 I have the problem, that NBES.exe will spike the CPU to 100% after 1 to 2 days.

Sometime already after 2 hours when the machine was restarted.

Domino will not shutdown completely when restarting and the problem already exists.

I already checked Domino Logs, MAGT and disabled Inline Images and the freetimelookup, but the problem reoccurs after 2 days.

I know about a DST problem with 4.1.5. Are there any other hints or tipps where and what to search?

I had no problems with 4.1.5, but for security and HTML mails I upgraded to 4.1.6.

60 Blackberry Users, Domino 7.0.2 FP3, BES 4.1.6, Windows 2003 R2 SP2, VMWARE ESX

Workaround for the moment is to restart the BES every 6 hours.

Thanks for help !

New Contributor

Re: NBES.exe spikes CPU since 4.1.6 upgrade

We also upgraded to 4.1.6 for security & html email.  Unfortunately, ever since the upgrade our nbes.exe generates a runtime error and crashes.... frequently.  We have a call in to RIM support, and will report back what we find.
New Contributor

I know another company with the same problem.

They just have 10 users and have to restart the server every 4 days since upgrading to 4.1.6.

My carrier wont help me, because they havent released 4.1.6 for the moment (planned for end of august/september).

Only three customers with this problem at the moment ?

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Carriers don't release BES versions; RIM does.  Carriers release HH OS's.

Call your carrier, and if they won't support you ask for an escalation to RIM and they should transfer you.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Thanks for this information. Will call them again.

After 4 hours of 100% CPU of NBES.exe it was going down to normal work again today.

At the moment its normal state on the server.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Vodafone

@stroll

I have exact the same problem here. In our environment the CPU spikes to 100% and the BES server doesn´t do anything. The user aren´t able to send emails and will not get any emails. 

I need to restart the server. Sometimes I can restart only the BES Task. But very often I need to re-start the complete server.

The problems happen since I updated to 4.1.6 (also for HTML support and PDF Fix). I didn´t had these problems with 4.1.5. 

Bastian W.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Vodafone

found another user who has the same problem:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/141621-bes-domino-4-1-6-a.html

Bastian W.
New Contributor

According to RIM, we had to disable rich text emails and inline images--and our server stopped COMPLETELY dying.  Unfortunately, NBES.EXE continued to crash and restart itself very frequently.

We were able to get the NBES.EXE to stop crashing by upgrading all of our 4.5.0.37 client to .52.  Maybe it was just dumb luck, but we've been running OK since.  Unfortunately, we still haven't dared turn HTML email back on.  Maybe when the OS gets to 4.5.1 or we find more solid information about the quirks people seem to be having.

RIM support seemed pretty disturbed that we had 4.5 OS--even though we downloaded them straight from blackberry.com (through various carriers).

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

What version of Domino do you have on the BES?

Definitely make sure you keep your 4.5 HH OS up to date.  With how quick carriers have been releasing them I would think there are issues and expect new ones.  .52 seems to be pretty good however.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

We're running Domino 7.0.3