Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: NBES.exe spikes CPU since 4.1.6 upgrade

I think this isn´t a issue with Lotus Domino.

stroll = Domino 7.0.2 FP3

I = 8.0.1

MarvinK = 7.0.3

Rsun = 7.0.3

3 different Notes Domino Versions. But the problem is the same.

Bastian W.
My Device: Not Specified

We are seeing this problem with all users that are upgrading to SP6, related to the NBES.exe, CPU issue.   RIM are currently investigating this issue. Please see there response below:   ............................................................................................... "...... Although we have not conclusively linked the Rich Content functionality with the CPU usage issue you are describing, please could we disable it to see if this reduces the amount of CPU used by nbes.exe. Please note that currently this is not a loss of functionality as it can only be used with devices that have 4.3.1 or later. To turn off the Rich Content functionality, please follow the procedure below: 1. In the BlackBerry Manager, in the left pane, click a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. 2. On the Server Configuration tab, click Edit Properties. 3. Click Messaging. 4. In the Messaging Options section, perform one of the following actions: To turn off rich-content formatting, click Rich Content Enabled. In the drop-down list, click False. To turn off inline images, click Inline Images Enabled. In the drop-down list, click False. 5. Click OK........ " .....................................................................................................................................
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, this is the problem.

After disabling there are no problems any more (running now more then 30 hours without spiking).

Sad, it worked perfect with 4.1.5 ;-)

Of course there is a loss of functionality, Vodafone Germany already released 4.5 for Handhelds.

You can reproduce easy. Just send a mail with 3 inline pics from an external emailadress to a blackberry user.

Message Edited by stroll on 07-31-2008 12:05 PM
Developer

I disabled also this option and it seamed to fix the problem. My BlackBerry Server is running without problems at the moment.

I think this also this is a lost of functionality. My users are asking at the moment when I will enable this feature but all I can do is to point to RIM.

Bastian W.
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Apparently enough people had this problem: KB15931 - How to turn off rich content and In-line images for a BlackBerry smartphone user or groups...

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Developer

thanks for the link... but I call it a "workaround" as long as RIM released a hotfix.
Bastian W.
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

... well that is because it is a work-around.  At least this time it is somewhere easily accessible and isn't hidden in a registry key documented in a set of release notes only.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/

The "workaround" didn't work for me. Still 100 % CPU and when i stop nbes.exe, all is ok... The eventlog was filled with thousnads of entrys with the following content: "[DIAG] Error telling the debug trace file position : No such file or directory (error : 2)" I ran back to our snapshot (I LOVE VM) and everything is OK now. Will be happy, when problems are solved... :-(
BES 4.1.4, Lotus Notes, 101 users

I had the exact same issues after upgrading to BES 4.1.6 and Domino 7.03

I disabled rich text and in-line image support and my server is a lot more stable now.

Highlighted
Developer

RIM Released the Service Pack 6 Maintenance Release 1

• Filename: besn416mr1.zip
  • Filesize: 33 MB
  • Date posted: 16-Sep-08

This servicepack solved the problems I had. I´m running the servicepack (and enabled rich text and in-line image support) since 18.09.2008 without problems.

Bastian W.