Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodafone

PAC file usage for Intranet access intermittent? 5.0.3 mr4 sp3

Hi testing the usage of browsing intranet via PAC file according to BB instructions.

It worked, then didn't, then worked then didn't.  Nothing I can see in the logs, events to point me anywhere logical.

Strangely also the logs on the BES server showed pac returns when successful, and now don't either successful or not.  No change in logging has been made.

When it doesn't work no User authentication prompts and I get a TMG error 1202 message.  No change in TMG.  I've been searching for days on the internet and BB knowledge articles to no avail.

Has anyone else experience this bizarre issue and can provide me with info\explanation or fix.

Many thanks

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z-10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: PAC file usage for Intranet access intermittent? 5.0.3 mr4 sp3

Hello marvli;

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

Depending on the PAC file configuration and your environments configuration of the Threat Management Gateway or TMG, it would appear that the intermittent denial would be best researched by first accessing the environments logs at the time of the denial; such as the TMG network, ISA, etc.

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server logs for the most part, do not offer detailed information on instances such as this, other than to mainly state a failure to connect, login, etc.

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server does not change the way in which it tries to communicate, unless otherwise edited to do so by the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Administrators. When using the PAC file, you have essentially edited the route in which BlackBerry Enterprise Server is to take for specific traffic tasks, looking at the traffic paths in which the BlackBerry Enterprise Server has to utilize to exit the environment, tracing that path and reviewing the data for each point or interaction will lead you to the cause and resolution.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

MAD-VIKING
New Contributor

Hi thanks for the reply. Once I get the full details of the TMG trace I will post the results. Both results show a successful connection using PAC and a denied attempt to the same website. A restart of the MDS service that has a Service account associated with it will often give the BB device the above scenario, one success then failure from there on effectively ignoring the proxy mapping order in place (PAC) being at the top according to BB design.
New Contributor

Hi anyone that is reading this.  I just need some clarity on the pac file script and the "Univeral Resource Locator" entry in the Proxy Mapping tab.

I have the PAC with an entry that states

if (shExpMatch(url, "http://test.dept.co.uk/*))

but the URL field specified above in the Proxy Mapping tab is popluated this way... -

.*://test.dept.*

Will this have an impact and perhaps explain my issue?

Additionally am I required to set spn property for the BB service account associated to the MDS service?

Many Thanks
Marv

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Browser version

Hi,

I have 2 devices 9700 and 9790,

the 9700 works fine (always) using the PAC file.

the  9790 only works after refreshing about 5 times.

tmg logs show the pac files gets ignored and attempts the stipulated url (within the pac file) using an internet service account and thus the tmg blockage.

If I edit the device policy to use the pac url as homepage I have no problems but that cannot be the case.  Browser version for 9790 is 7.0 and on this device there is no other browser to select.

I think this this is a browser software related issue that I cannot resolve.

any opinions?