Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Not Specified

PPTP-tunnel via BES to corporate network not supported?

Hello everybody,

My main question is very simple. Is there ANY WAY to connect my notebook to our corporate network by using the storm? I need this, because i am travelling a lot and need to sync with our corporate fileservers.

I am using the Blackberry Storm 9500 on t-mobile in germany, with a BES-server and an unlimited dataplan (flatrate).

As far as i understand there are 2 possible ways to connect:
1.) Using the Storm as a modem and setting up a pptp-tunnel (VPN)
This is my prefered way. Using the Storm as a modem works perfectly. Internet-access works great on MacOS X and Win XP. But when trying to start a vpn-connection it doesn´t work. No matter what operating system. With another mobile the simcard does the job. But not with the Storm. 
It seems to block pptp / vpn connections. (The BB Ipmodem setting on the BES is activated). What can I do?

2.) Some way I don´t know about yet via the BES-server
There seems to be a way to connect via the BES-VPN-tunnel. But I haven´t got a clue how that might work.

In my opinon this is an important point to quite a few business BES-Users since they need access to their file-servers in order to upload or download files they need (like presentations, large PDFs etc.). The iphone doesn´t support modem services for notebooks, so THIS IS At BIG ADVANTAGE for the Storm.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance to everybody,

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: PPTP-tunnel via BES to corporate network not supported?

for VPN blocking, I'd ask the BIS carrier. Maybe they are blocking what they can't control.
did you try with your SIM card but on another mobile phone ?

for 2) I guess you can develop a MDS or Java applicatino that will access the BES servers directly
or you can try a webbased tool (you can configure the web proxy of your company to grant access to your PIN)

I am confident there are many tools to do what you want, each should be more expensive than the other. Look at what can Roovio do (that's not the correct spelling for the name, sorry).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PPTP-tunnel via BES to corporate network not supported?

Hello Xandrex,

the simcard does the job in other devices. The carrier t-mobile germany assured me, that everything is perfect -they are not blocking anything.

But aren´t there any built-in solutions in the BES? Isn´t anyone else using  VPN / PPTP via Blackberry?