Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problems with email not hitting users devices

We are running BES on Windows 2000 Server SP4, we have 56 users on our BES and are using version 4.1.4.15.

For the past 2 days we have been experiencing issues where users are not getting email delivered to their Blackberries but it is being delivered to their email client.  I have noticed on the BES that it shows all users with Pending Data Packets, plus I have tried sending PIN to PIN and these work, so surely that means it is not a network fault.

Every now and then all the pending emails will hit the users Blackberries but then we go back to a stage of users not receiving email again.

Any ideas?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Problems with email not hitting users devices

Have you tried rebooting the BES? are all the services running?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: All of them

Lots of things you might want to check, but as above the first thing to try is to restart everything or reboot that server.

In the status of the server what is the SRP status? is it connected? 

==============================
Be alert!
.. The world needs more lerts.

If someone has helped answer your problem, or you think their post is useful, why not hit the green KUDOS button to thank them?
New Contributor

Server has been rebooted numerous times to no avail.  Its intermittent and does not seem to have happened now for at least a day so cannot really check the SRP status.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Could you be having network connectivity issues?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
BlackBerry Employee

I would check the Dispatcher log and see if you notice the log line "SRP Connection Dropped" during the time of when the issue occurred. This would tell you if the SRP was down or not. Just another thing to rule out.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Faceman, jusst looked in the Dispatcher log on days this was occuring and found the following:

[30450] (01/02 07:22:22.218):{0xB84} {USERNAME} User unchanged (disp): id=110, email=user@domain.co.uk, device=2514A334, routing=s4176198, agent=001, ext=1, wl=0, keys=(3:3:0)
[30000] (01/02 07:23:13.140):{0x988} SRPClient::ReceivePacket: No received bytes (0)
[50097] (01/02 07:23:13.140):{0xB5C} [SRP] Dispatcher\SRP Connection dropped, Error=0
[30000] (01/02 07:23:13.140):{0x1428} [DIAG] EVENT=Unregister_thread, THREADID=0x1428, THREADNAME="SRPClientReceiver"
[30000] (01/02 07:23:13.140):{0xB5C} [SRP] Connection lost

Why would this be happening?

BlackBerry Employee

No prob. That's definitley the cause, now just need to figure out why. How long is the connection dropped for? Does it reconnect immediately or is it down for a while? If it reconnects immediately then you should'nt really see that much of a delay as connection is re-established immediately. ( I had a few disconencts myself but it reconnected immediately so i didnt worry about it).

If it goes down frequently then I would look at it as either connection being lost from BES to the firewall....or from firwall to Blackberry Infustructire. If its from BES to firwall then coud look at NIC card on BES or switch...if its from firewall to BlackBery Infustructure then could be ISP provided issue (But i doubt that as you would see users complaining of unable to browse the web). Worst case is you could look at your firewall logs as the might show some info as to where the connection broke....Let us know what you find.

Face

New Contributor

It seems to happen for a long period of time but as per usual it has not happened for a while.  I will get our firewall guys to see if they can see any connection drop for the SRP.

Am guessing the SRP (Dispatcher) talks out from the BES to RIM?
BlackBerry Employee

Looks like you found the reason to the pending messages but just need to find the cause of it.

Actually It's the Blackberry Router Service that connects via the srp address specified during the install. Disaptcher is the one with the SRP credentials which are used to authenticate on BlackBerry Infastructure.

Also one thing you might want to do is ensure the BlackBerry Router and Disaptcher have the log level set to 4 for debug

as there might be more information printed in helping you troubleshoot this. You can increase the logging by using the blackberry Configuration tool under the logging tab.

One thing u can also check is to see if there are any errors in event viewer that correspond with the timestamp of the srp disconencts. There might be something happening just before that which might help out.