Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Query on BES database

Hi

Does anyone know what BES actually uses its database for?

Does the DB hold static information such as a list of users, their PIN etc, or does it hold so much information that the BES refers to it everytime it sends a message?

We are looking to implement BES in a new site, and want to know what effect the BES database will have on our SQL server over there in terms of I/O, memory usage etc?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Query on BES database

Which version BES on what mail platform and how many users and amount of mail servers?

MSDE can be user for up to 500 users after that you will need Full SQL.

Every time it sends a message a table is updated.

Everytime It policy is sent it is updated.

It policies are stored in it.

Software configs, groups, etc. 

It does store PIN number and user info but not a whole lot of data.

All device backups are stored on the mail server.

Our dual 2.8ghz quad core server with 4 gig ram and 73 gig raid 1 OS and database area of 300 gig Raid 10 with 8 15k drives never goes above 4% usage with our users. We have 5 databases on it and yes it is total overkill but the CRM project was scrapped for now.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for answering.

We are running BES 4.1.6 across two servers, one seperate DB server running SQL 2000. We have about 1500 users.

So basically, if everytime a message is sent a table gets updated, then I guess that is a lot of transactions. Do you know what table and why gets updated whenever a message is sent?

Thanks again.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

dbo.Userstats gets updated alot.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

When it comes to BES, the database stores EVERYTHING. User info, PINs, encryption keys, the works.

If you're finding the load on the SQL server is too high, it would be a good idea to get the database notification system (DBNS) up and running, especially given the number of users you have. Running the DBNS will significantly reduce the load on the SQL server and is considered a best practice when dealing with a remote database server.

Here's the relevant 5.0 documentation.