Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Question on BlackBerry routing

Hi

Let's say I send an email from my BB device. Essentially, this needs to end up in my Sent Items for Exchange to send the mail to the recipient.

So the message travels from the

BB device > RIM > BES > Exchange

My questions are

1., when the message gets to the RIM network, how does RIM know to send the message to the correct BES?

2. how does the BB device know how to send the message to the correct RIM relay?

3. what exactly does the SRP Identifier do?

4. when the message comes back in from RIM, does it go to the BB Router or straight to the Dispatcher?

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Question on BlackBerry routing

1., when the message gets to the RIM network, how does RIM know to send the message to the correct BES?

RIM's noc sends it to the SRP key which is also the same as your encryption key on your device.

2. how does the BB device know how to send the message to the correct RIM relay?

It knows by its location around the world to use the correct RIM relay

3. what exactly does the SRP Identifier do?

It is the the unique ID that RIM uses to identify the BES, and to find out where to send messages to. Also it gives an ID that the handhelds can use for Encryption key. When you use the SRP identifier, it just makes sure that one, your SRP is valid, and two, more recently, checks if it is being used by someone else so you don't get locked out. ( BES 5.0.2)

4. when the message comes back in from RIM, does it go to the BB Router or straight to the Dispatcher?

No, all outside traffic goes through the router, then from the router it is routed through the normal process of sending mail depending on platform.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Regular Contributor

Hi BBhorigan

Thanks for replying!

I had one question:

>1., when the message gets to the RIM network, how does RIM know to send the message to the >correct BES?

>RIM's noc sends it to the SRP key which is also the same as your encryption key on your device.

Could you expand on this? I'm not sure I understand Smiley Sad

I always thought that the RIM relays have mappings of PIN's to SRP Keys. So basically, when a BB sent a message, the RIM relay would check the PIN the message came from and then send to the corresponding SRP.

Likewise, when a message comes from a BES to the RIM relay. How does the Relay know which BB to send it to?

Thanks again!

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hi Daps,

Basically, when you send an email from the BlackBerry smartphone, it uses the appropriate Service Book.  In the case of BlackBerry Enterprise Server messaging, that is typically the Desktop [CMIME] Service Book.  If you open that Service Book (Options>Advanced Options>Service Book) you will see that the UID field is your SRP ID.  So yes, when your message is sent, the SRP is included in the packet.  When the BlackBerry Infrastructure receives the message, it reads the SRP ID and connects to your BlackBerry Enterprise Server (which connects to the BlackBerry Infrastructure as well). 

It works the other way around when forwarding a message to your device but this time, it uses the PIN to connect to your carrier's network.

Hope that answers your question!

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Regular Contributor

Hi

Thanks, that answers the question perfectly!

Just one more related question if that's ok...

"It works the other way around when forwarding a message to your device but this time, it uses the PIN to connect to your carrier's network."

How would the RIM relay know which particular PIN to send the message to?

Retired

Every active PIN gets registered with us, thus we know which carrier the PIN belongs to.  If you have a BlackBerry and change carriers, taking your BlackBerry with you, we will update the PIN to your new carrier.

-CptS

Regular Contributor

Sure....but lets say I message comes from Exchange > BES > RIM for UserA@domain.com with PIN 1234.

That message arrives at the RIM relay encrypted and compressed.

What information does RIM see from the message that makes it route the message to 1234? The message is encrypted and compressed so surely it can't see header information such as To, From etc?

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: M1

once the entire message is encrypted, it is then wrapped by another layer of header containing the SRP and PIN. This is what BES and your BlackBerry do when sending mails.

Retired

BBAma is correct. 

I can't get into detail about it but yes, the entire message is not decrypted, due mainly to the fact that the encryption keys are on the BlackBerry and the user's mailbox and are unknown to us, but the packet is encoded with the SRP or PIN (depending on the direction of travel).  This is why it is essential for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to connect to us as well as why every BlackBerry requires a BlackBerry data plan from the carrier.

-CptS

Regular Contributor

Thanks guys - so you are saying when a message leaves the BES towards RIM, it is stamped with the destination PIN by the BES? That way the relay knows how to route the message?