Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: STC

SQL Database Centralization of 4 BES servers in same forest.

In my blackberry environment i have 4 BES servers working in child domains with local MSDE databases. I've been ask to put in place a High Availability solution for our BES 4.1.6 for Exchange 2007 environment and to see the possibility of centralization of databases of all BES servers in one location.  I've done a lot of reading and I see below possibilities:

1- Build a second BES, same BES name, same SRP, with services disabled along with a second SQL configuration database (with transactional replication).

Based on the same scenario, I would also like  to confirm about the possibility of centralizing the Blackberry configuration databases of 4 BES servers which are at different locations to a remote SQL server. These servers  are presently using local MSDE database and belong to the same forest as child domains. One of the problem I see in such case is that if we centralize the MSDE databases of all BES servers then how will each BES server recognize its users from others as each server has specific set of users on its database. Please help me solve my query.

2. Upgrade to 5.0 if required.

Thanks for your input.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: SQL Database Centralization of 4 BES servers in same forest.

Upgrade to BES 5.

Domains are not a limitation for BES.  Multiple servers can share (and is a recommended approach to do so) a single BlackBerry Configuration Database.  This allows you to move users between servers in the event of a failure and services will continue to function for users.

You may be able to use the Enterprise Transporter tool to do the database consolidation for you too.

How many BES users do you have in total?

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/