Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SRP Returns "FAILED" Status

This might be a little bit "offtopic" for this Forum, but provided that it happens quite regularly and neither of the "official" channels seem to be able or willing to deal with it, I am at stage to try anything to come to grips with it.

I am in the "middleman" position in a global company which has had enough courage to run a single BES for a global user audience and at same time to rely on any telco one can find on this green planet which cares to sell a Blackberry handheld and a mobile subscription with it.

and the Problem is that occasionally we seem to get some kind of "mobile provisioning" issues with some users. BES log returns for those users "SRP" event which says "FAILED", "data services" on that blackberry do not seem to work, and we always find that Problem is gone if in the same Blackberry another SIM card is inserted which is known to work well.

The blessed telcos, naturally, either do not understand what the problem is, or say "they see nothing wrong" or just blame everything on the BES or BES admins.

Not much better outcome if trying to raise this as a support call to RIM TSupport. Although one could assume that update packages with "failed" delivery status for a known PIN should be possible to track down and to see what causes the "failure".

If we are "lucky" enough and the victim happens to be a VIP user so it is possible to do a "formal business escalation", this can be fixed at telco, but what exactly is being done or how in their language they call it remains secret.

So if there are fellow "BES admins" which have been confronted with this "SRP: FAILED" mystery and who happen to know what is the underlying problem and how to describe it to telco so they actually understand it, that would be very much appreciated.

New Contributor

Re: SRP Returns "FAILED" Status

I think your issue is related to your devices getting provisioned for BIS only (BlackBerry Enterprise Service) since this is the error you will receive when trying to activate the device on a BIS only account.

Our support teams use the following terms when calling into the carriers.  "Is this device provisioned for BlackBerry Enterprise Service, it seems as it is only provisioned for BlackBerry Internet Service."  We have found that these seem to be the key words that get things fixed.

Hope that helps.

Neil

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: SRP Returns "FAILED" Status

If the subscription had been correctly provisioned for BIS, PIN-to-PIN messages would work for the devices in question. But they don't.

In my humble opinion, it is something either on RIM level, or between the mobile carrier and RIM, whereby the specific subscriber does not get correct access level to RIM.