Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Setting to retain Enterprise Activation passwords

[ Edited ]

Often I get requests to reset Enterprise Activation (EA) passwords for users that change phones or for new users. It might also take more than 1 time to EA, which means I have to reset the password each time. An example of that is when a user gets a phone that was previously used by someone else. They run EA, which connects to the server and the EA password gets cleared BEFORE it prompts them to wipe the phone of the previous user's data, which they do and then they need to EA again, which means I need to reset the password again.

Is there a way for the BES to retain the EA passwords once they are set?

Thanks

Message Edited by rmansell on 01-05-2009 09:58 AM
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Setting to retain Enterprise Activation passwords

No, this would be a HUGE security hole. imagine if anyone could activate at anytime if they knew the EA password for a selected user

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

That's actually a matter of opinion. We are a somewhat small company and aren't concerned with that because we do not transmit any sensitive information in unencrypted plain text e-mails (which could easily be forwarded to people who shouldn't get them). We also realize how easy it is for a user to lose their phone, which would give anyone access to their e-mail because not many people password protect their phones. So what you consider a security hole is in fact not for us. Rather, it's a hassle to reset the EA password to the same thing every time. I realize our practice isn't the same as many other companies, but I'm sure there are some who are in the same position we are and don't have this security hole concern.

Although it isn't what I was hoping to hear it does answer my question, so thanks for your response.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

All things that can be controled, you can set up an IT policy so that the users phone does lock, if the user does lose his phone, you can send a wipe and kill command from the BES to disable the handheld so no on can get email of the device. And if you are ok with someone having to have the ability to to activate an email account anytime on your network, and that isn't a security concern for you, then I'm not sure you have any concerns about your enviroment at all. Sorry there is no fix for your issue though

Good luck

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!