Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
05-28-2009 11:25 AM
We have an in-house app that gets upgraded somewhat frequently. We're finding that in a small percentage of cases, our software configuration preset permissions are not honored by the blackberry. In some cases the user is prompted to trust the application. We don't want the user to be prompted, if they choose wrong the application will not work, and in most cases they have no idea what the prompt means. The software configuration is set correctly, but we still see that the application is denied access, e.g. to the Phone API.
One solution has been options->advanced->applications->select the app->edit permissions->save
Note that no changes are made on before saving, but the act of saving the permissions seems to get the phone to recognize the permissions (which are set correctly already). After the phone reboots, the application works as planned.
Does anyone else experience this problem?
Is there something else that can be done besides walking through these steps on the phone? (I don't want to have to call and walk users through these mindless steps.)
06-02-2009 12:06 AM
I've seen this before ...
a few things to try to isolate:
Does it happen with all HH models?
Does it happen with all OS versions of that HH model?
Does it happen with all versions of the application?
Can you try using a newer / older version of the JDE to build the app?
I found a problem with a specific series of 4.5 HH OS versions that wouldn't take the permissions set by the application control policy for an app. One we upgraded the OS (or downgraded it), the permissions went through perfectly fine.
06-02-2009 09:50 AM
We're only using Curves: 8330 and 8330m
The majority of our devices are from Verizon where OS=126.96.36.199
It happens with all versions of the application
I haven't tried switching the JDE
It doesn't happen every time, in fact the majority of the time the app runs fine. But there is a small percentage of instances where the OS blocks the app from getting permissions to, e.g., the Phone API. The app won't work without it.
So what we end up with when we upgrade 50 users who all have the same hardware, OS, and carrier to the same version of our in-house application, using the BES to deliver the software from the same software config: we'll get ~45 working fine, and ~5 who can't run the app because permissions are blocked.
06-02-2009 09:53 AM
I'm not 100% sure on this ... but IIRC, the problem was fixed with HH OS 188.8.131.52 and greater (I'm not kidding).
This was just my case, but perhaps it is worth at least a try for a newer OS on these problem devices.