Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Spam - Email filters

Hi,

We are in a coporate group with antispam appliance which tag email in the header as spam but don't block them.

In the messaging client Outlook, a simple rule can bypass the mailbox and put these email in the junkemail folder.

The problem is that without Outlook runing these spam email are pushed toward the Blackberry appliance. I check for the filter rules in the "BlackBerry Manager" but the conditions could be done only on the subject, body, from etc. and not in relation with the header content.

Is there an other way to fliter email according to a string in their headers in the "filter Rule" in BlackBerry Manager ?

Thanks for your help !

Contributor

Re: Spam - Email filters

I'm not sure what appliance you have, but we're using an Ironport and had the same issue.  We just started redirecting suspected spam emails to users' Junk Mail folder on the appliance.  This way Outlook doesn't have to be active for the redirection to take place.

If your appliance can't redirect messages to a folder you can use Exchange to create a Journal Rule to redirect those messages into a specific folder.  

New Contributor

Tanks a lot for your answers drmorley,

But we don't have ironport like appliance to redirect our suspected spam so it bypass blackberry device.

Journal Rule can be a solution be apparently on Exchange 2003 it will add more administrative task on the day to day and might be a processor usage problem.

Anybody have another clue to resolve this problem, a way to check in the message header if it's spam tagged, and delete it or directing it on the spam folder ?

thx 

Contributor

I'm not sure of your server specs, but the Journal rules are fairly low impact.  I've got 150 users and 8 Journal rules and the load on a C2D 2.0ghz processor never gets about 10%.  Now if you've got thousands of clients that might be a different story. 

I don't think BES (out of the box) can check headers, but there might be a third party app that can solve your issue.  Hopefully someone more in the know than I will respond.

Good luck Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I look for many way to do this, but apparently without 3rd party software it can't be done.

Except maybe with the clue concerning journaling you gave me drmorley...

I thought that journaling aimed to copy and journal all mail in a special mailbox.

Do you think it is possible to build a rule that can catch spam email with a filter (according to a string in the header message) and redirecting them to the journaling mailbox bypassing the client mailbox? Apparently the filters I look at don't offer me this opportunity...

The mail goal is still that user mailboxes won't need Outlook client to process "spam tagged" emails and BlackBerry users won't receive too much spam (Outlook is not opened everyday to process JunkMail).

Thanks for further bright ideas !