Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Strange/Incorrect(?) behavior with BES User Administration Tool

We are using the BES User Administration Tool for Exchange and seeing some strange behavior.  I am running the client on my local workstation and the service is running on the same machine as the BES.  I added my login information to the config db and gave myself the rim_db_admin_enterprise role.  Everything worked as expected and I was able to execute a variety of commands.  Then I removed that rim_db_admin_enterprise role from my login and I was expecting to receive the following error - "Could not determine client role. Error Code: -55 (Unable to determine client role.)"  However, I was still able to execute all of the same commands as when I had that role assigned.  I've used both the BlackBerry Manager and SQL Manager to remove that role.  The log file shows my client name and the role, rim_db_admin_enterprise role.

Is this role information being cached somewhere or does something need to be cleared/reset?  We have stopped and started the service after removing the role.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions/explanations,

Mark Donovan

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Strange/Incorrect(?) behavior with BES User Administration Tool

Is your login a member of any group that has extended privs within SQL?

What account is the BlackBerry User Administration Service running as?

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Andy,

My login is not a part of any groups that has extended privs.  The User Admin Service is running as an administrator account. 

Some extra info - we are using Version 4.1.3.6 of the tool.  In another test, we had another login that had the rim_db_admin_enterprise role and we removed that user from the db entirely - and he can still run the commands successfully.

Thanks,

Mark

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

mdonovan wrote:

Andy,

My login is not a part of any groups that has extended privs.  The User Admin Service is running as an administrator account. 

Ok, is the user admin service running as the same account as your BES is running as?

Some extra info - we are using Version 4.1.3.6 of the tool.  In another test, we had another login that had the rim_db_admin_enterprise role and we removed that user from the db entirely - and he can still run the commands successfully.

Thanks,

Mark

The confusing part here is ... is that the user executing the besuseradminclient needs to have access and if you're saying he / she doesn't have access it should error.

If you go to the registry under HKLM to the BES logging inof key, try changing the log level of the user admin service from 4 (or whatever you have it at) to 6.  Restart the service and try again.  It should give more verbose data.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

The user admin service is running as one admin account and the BES is running as a different admin account.  Does that factor into this problem we are seeing?

The logging info appears to be the same at level 4 and 6.  The log shows my local machine as HOST, my login as CLIENT and the ROLE as rim_db_admin_enterprise.  And for the user that was deleted from the db, it still shows his local machine as HOST, login as CLIENT and ROLE as rim_db_admin_enterprise.  And in both cases the commands are successful.