Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Sync Public Calendar INSTEAD of Personal Calendar?

I have a group of three users, the CEO, CFO (husband and wife) and their secretary that share a public calendar. The CEO and CFO have Blackberries, and the personal Calendar sync is now working wirelessly. (See another thread).

However, they ONLY use the public shared calendar, and NOT the personal Calendar. I know you can only wirelessly sync ONE calendar at a time, but can I make it so it syncs the PUBLIC Calendar syncs to their Blackberry devices instead of the Personal one?

Basically, I want to get to a situation where the secretary inputs an appointment in the Public Calendar, and the CEO/CFO receiving it on their blackberries.The don't really care about their personal calendar, so it is absolutely no problem to have 1 calendar synced to the BB's, I was just hoping to figure out a way that it will be the Public one.

Alternatively, but this may be more Exchange related then BES related, if I can find a way where the Public Calendar automatically populates a number of Personal Calendars, It would work, as the Personal Calendars are synced wirelessly without problems now.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Sync Public Calendar INSTEAD of Personal Calendar?

can't do this natively.  You'd need a 3rd party product of sorts.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

Ah, bummer.

I am going to check and see if I can have personal calendars populated automatically, somehow, but this would be Exchange related, i'll have to sniff out some Exchange experts. Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

an event sink would work for this.
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

Hmmmm.... I don't have any experience with programming, and by the looks of it, Event Sinks mean you need to program something to get this done.

I did find Add2Exchange, which could do the trick..... but I hate explaining that I need to spend another $695 just to get their shared calendar to sync to their Blackberries. If that is the case, it would actually be cheaper to replace their phones with Windows Mobile devices, which at least can use a user-shared calendar. (which would also work for me, i'd just create a domain account and share its calendar.

Ah well, sometimes you can't have the bread AND the butter as well. Smiley Wink

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

the third party app can be... Google Calendar.

=> each person has his/her personal calendar that is synchronized with the google calendar.
=> the google calendar is synchronized with each person's blackberry

the sync between Google Calendar and the default Outlook calendar can be done by an application for PC called "Google Calendar Sync".
the sync between the primary Google Calendar of a google account and a Blackberry can be done by an application for Blackberry called "Google Mobile Sync".

I think there may be huge problems when all six sync tools act at the same type. the secretary can probably schedule the sync at different hours of the day, but it could be a pain in the neck.

The other solution in indeed the event sink that will sync a personal calendar with the public folder. It requires low level "VBA for Outlook" skills (meaning : can be done by any lazy developer in a week).

there is an even easier solution : don't use the public folder. the sync conflicts would be easier to cope with.
=> the Outlook calendar is synchronized with the owner's blackberry
=> each blackberry is synchronized with the google account.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

The 2 people I am talking about have laptops.... I am thinking for this to work the Google Calendar app will have to be running somewhere, and be synced by someone, which really isn't great in weekends (we run a 24/7 company) when the secretary isn't there...... Furthermore, however great Google may be, I rather not rely on a "free" application like that. We have to be SAS70 compliant, and BES 4.1 meets our security requirements, as well as Outlook Anywhere, which is ONLY offered using SSL, etc....

I really would want to run something in-house, behind the firewall, that will work to update their calendars, and really only have the BES communicate out to the Blackberries.

I know a few devs, so I may have to pay one of em to write an "event sink" to do the trick. Of course that also has its downfalls, for instance if Exchange Server 2007 SP2 would be released, and MS changes things so that the event sink app will no longer work.

Decissions, decissions.... bread, butter etc. Smiley Wink I may just have to bite the bullet and buy Add2Exchange.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Nice necro

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V