Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Troubleshooting Enterprise Activation issues

Here is the core RIM Support article that refers to troubleshooting Enterprise Activation issues:

KB13852 - Identifying and troubleshooting enterprise activation issues

Si
Contributor

Re: Troubleshooting Enterprise Activation issues

Which I can simplify by saying:

• Permisions
  • SPAM filter
  • AV filtering the DAT file 
Contributor

Just a little more for people looking to troubleshoot Enterprise Activation issues.

When you key in your email address and password, the BlackBerry will send an email to the email address you have keyed in to verify if that's the account that's being used. That email is commonly known as an ETP message. This ETP message has three components to it, none of which can be modified in anyway by your SPAM filter on Exchange, otherwise BES will not be able to recognize and pick it up.

BES will not pick up ETP messages on 2 normal conditions:

1. ETP message has been modified

2. The permissions have not been set correctly

1. ETP message, as i said earlier, has three components - subject, attachment, body

Your SPAM filter must be whitelisted to allow emails coming in from *.blackberry.net. ETP messages are usually sent from email addresses like network@etpXX.blackberry.net. The subject of the message usually starts with a "RIM_bcaXXXXXX" . Make sure your SPAM filter does not add any additional things like [SPAM] in the subject line. Your SPAM filter must not filter out .dat attachments. The content of the body will usually go like "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry and ........." One more important thing is that this ETP message must be allowed to remain in the Inbox. Therefore, there should not be any rules setup to direct incoming emails to Personal File Folders or any subfolders even if the subfolder is within the Inbox. This way, BES will be able to pick up the message.

2. Check for permissions

I hope this helps a little more. 

Retired

Thanks for the additional information that you've provided, lolaisodd!
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Here's another one to watch for that I keep running into:  We have quotas set for our mailboxes in Exchange.  Occasionally we have had techs or even the users themselves switch a user's mail to deliver to local pst in order to circumvent the quota.  Result is that the activation message gets pulled off the server where the BES can't see it.  Local pst delivery is one of the fastest BES breakers I know. 

Additionally, if the BlackBerry is already activated and then they switch to pst delivery, the common symptoms are intermittent mail not being forwarded, and the inability to forward or reply to messages from the BlackBerry 

Message Edited by DigitalFrog on 04-09-2008 10:18 AM
posted by DigitalFrog