Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
JPS
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Upgrading to BES 4.1.6, MR3 and Security Update 2

Hi

We are currently running one server on 4.1.6, MR3 and Security Update 2 – this is a server that I just upgraded tonight from 4.1.5

The other two servers, that hold the majority of the users, are on 4.1.5 and will be upgraded during the week. I understand that once a BES is upgraded, it resends the Service Books to all users. Bearing that in mind, a query popped into my head when upgrading the test box tonight, since I stopped all BES services and installed 4.1.6, rebooted, then stopped the BES services and installed MR3, then rebooted again, then stopped the Attachment and Dispatcher service to install the Security Update, then restarted them. 

Is all this stopping and starting of BES services wise considering the BES is attempting to send out Service Books? Would it be a good idea to keep all BES services remain stopped until after the Security Update has been installed (involving the replacement of the DLL files), and only then restart them?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Upgrading to BES 4.1.6, MR3 and Security Update 2

Are you doing it in off hours? Its not really as bad as you think it is, as long as you stage it over a few hours

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
JPS
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Yep, all happening in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm just paranoid about rebooting the servers when the service books are being sent out and having to re-activate people - or am I just being paranoid?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You can do the SP and MR and the PDF update with one reboot, just dont reboot and do the next item.

The reboot is more for starting services and remove a few files.

Stop SNMP service also before you begin. Or you will need an extra reboot.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

I would think you would be fine then. Knottyrope rocks!

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

bbhorrigan wrote:
I would think you would be fine then. Knottyrope rocks!

I gave a kudos just for that.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V