Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

cannot connect to mds services

Hi,

I am unable to connect to mds services in Blackberry Manager, it is not accepting my user/password.  I've checked server.xml as per this: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14989

and my user/password is correct.

I think that my problem is related to the name of the domain controller.  A while back we had renamed it.  At the time I opened up Blackberry Manager and things seemed to work but maybe I didn't try to connect to mds.  Please see the attached picture.  The original name of the DS was vanmivi2000, and it was changed to smivvandc02.  When I opened server.xml, I saw that the old dc name was in the file.  For example, server.xml contains this: "<Resource name="jdbc/db_server" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource" driverClassName="com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver" url="jdbc:sqlserver://VANMIVI2000:1433;databaseName=mdss;"

Any helps on troubleshooting this is greatly appreciated.

thanks

mds screenshot

mds screenshot

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: cannot connect to mds services

Did you change the SID as well? you might have to uninstall then reinstall again.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.  No, I did not change the SID.  It's been a long while since I installed or had to make any modifications on the BES - I don't know what SID is.

If I were to reinstall, would I be uninstalling everything and starting from scratch?  Would I have to worry about some residual settings/configurations that may be saved somewhere?

cheers

New Contributor

Any other suggestions or ideas to try out?

If not, I could use some tips on uninstalling/reinstalling the BES.  Perhaps I will start a new thread for that.  Our setup is very simple, there are only 3 users.  Would I just uninstall everything completely and start over from scratch, or is there some reason to try and keep the database or other settings in tact?

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Is this a local or remote sql database. Have you tried looking in MDS log file for errors? If you havent published any applications on MDS, I would just do a uninstall and reinstall, if you are using a remote sql database. After you uninstall I would delete the MDS database and let the install recreate it. Once you reinstall your blackberry device user info should still be in tact.
La Fletch
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks,

It is a local sql database.

I couldn't find any errors, but I'm not sure I was looking in the right place for the MDS logs.   I checked c:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDS\Servers\Blackberry\logs

and this folder was empty.

I should probably find out more about MDS just in case we don't need it for what we're doing here at work (I think I recall that MDS does not need to be installed).

thanks