Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

install and jbdc sql server 2005

I am installing BES server for the first time. I have 3 servers in this install. All 3 run windows 2003 server SP2.

server 1 = SQL 2005

server 2 = exchange 2003

server 3 = BES 4.1

I have having a problem getting the BES install to talk to SQL server to create the database. I have no idea how to setup the jbdc driver from the BES server to the SQL server. Please advise.

Thanks in advance

New Contributor

Re: install and jbdc sql server 2005

anyone please? I have to get this setup today because we are setting up all new blackberry phones monday morning. help please
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

This helped me alot with SQL.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05201&slic...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

not helping. I am SQL dumb guys. I need specfics step by step, if you will, to setup the jdbc driver from the BES server to the SQL server please.

thanks in advance

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

What version of SQL 2005 are you using express?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor

sql 2005 standard server
Forums Veteran I

With that set up, I'm not sure why you need it. When are you being prompted for this, did you follow through the install guide?

New Contributor

I am under the impression you have to create the jbdc connection from the BES server to the SQKL server before you install. It is one of the prereqs. If I simply go through the install and choose remote database when prompted and put in all the info of the remote server setups bombs and says can not creat DB
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

You shouldn't need to create a JDBC connection. As long as the installer can connect to the SQL server, on port 1433 by default, it should be able to create the DB. Is it at least asking you if you would like to create the DB? If so, then its safe to say the installer isn't having any trouble talking to the SQL server.

Have you created the BlackBerry service account in Active Directory? If so, did you give it any permissions on the SQL server? The easiest set up is to give it System Admin for the purposes of getting the database created.

Assuming you've done that, you can check out the Installer log. The last few lines will usually give you some idea of where the database creation is failing.

By default, you can find the installer log here:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\Installer

Read this again.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/2751/BESX_Install_Guide_427146_11.pdf

You need to specify permissions.

Either through windows credentials or SQL credentials.

"Perform one of the following actions:
• If you create the BlackBerry® Configuration Database on the same computer as the BlackBerry® Enterprise
Server, or if you install the BlackBerry MDS Integration Service, assign the system administrator permission to the
Microsoft® Windows® account that you are using to complete the installation.
• If you create the BlackBerry Configuration Database on another computer, assign server administrator and database
creator permissions to the Microsoft Windows account that you are using to complete the installation. If you are
using Microsoft® SQL Server® 2005, assign the system administrator permission, or each of the following roles:
SQLAgentUserRole, SQLAgentReaderRole, and SQLAgentOperatorRole. "

All BES needs is SQL running and correct permissions.