Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: x
My Carrier: x
Accepted Solution

BES Express Failover Site

Hello,

I'm deploying an Exchange 2010 Environment with a failover and a primary site for about 600 users.  The failover method will be manual on the Exchange side so I need to configure a manual failover for BES between the two sites.

We only have a handful of Blackberry users who plan to migrate to Blackberry 10 and use ActiveSync eventually this year so I would prefer to use Blackberry Express at this point.  My thought is to use 2 BES Express Servers with the services stopped and set to manual in the failover site.  On those two servers, I would install a default SQL instance (SQL Standard in the primary site and Express at the failover site) and configure SQL Replication between the two before creating the Configuration database manually by following kb21884.  Each BES Express Server would point to its own local SQL instance which is replicated. 

Can anyone who has had experience with this comment on whether or not this is advisable and if not what might cause issues?

Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Express Failover Site

bcallendar wrote:

Hello,

I'm deploying an Exchange 2010 Environment with a failover and a primary site for about 600 users.  The failover method will be manual on the Exchange side so I need to configure a manual failover for BES between the two sites.

We only have a handful of Blackberry users who plan to migrate to Blackberry 10 and use ActiveSync eventually this year so I would prefer to use Blackberry Express at this point.  My thought is to use 2 BES Express Servers with the services stopped and set to manual in the failover site.  On those two servers, I would install a default SQL instance (SQL Standard in the primary site and Express at the failover site) and configure SQL Replication between the two before creating the Configuration database manually by following kb21884.  Each BES Express Server would point to its own local SQL instance which is replicated. 

Can anyone who has had experience with this comment on whether or not this is advisable and if not what might cause issues?

Thanks!

If the database is being synced to both places, use a second SRP on DR site and have it connect to the database.

once one site goes down, move users from one BES to the other BES

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, I might be missing some things, but if I'm connecting to the same Configuration database, why would I need to then move users?  Wouldn't the failvoer site be essentially the same as the primary site since the failover is connecting to a copy of the pimary site database? 

If the primary site is down and not connecting to the Internet any longer, wouldn't I be able to use the same SRP?

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

bcallendar wrote:

Ok, I might be missing some things, but if I'm connecting to the same Configuration database, why would I need to then move users?  Wouldn't the failvoer site be essentially the same as the primary site since the failover is connecting to a copy of the pimary site database? 

If the primary site is down and not connecting to the Internet any longer, wouldn't I be able to use the same SRP?

Thanks

you can do it that way too, but with a second SRP (Express is free) and moving users over it can be faster than waiting for BES to start up. Also with both BES running, you know that it is working when you need it to.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Your suggestion is making sense to me now.  I thought you meant all of that instead of what I had proposed, not in conjunction with.

Thanks!  I will give that a try this weekeend.