Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Orange

BES Express Install - Local database is greyed out

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I am in the middle of upgrading BES from BES 4 to BES Express 5.0.4 (Bundle 38).

I have uninstalled the old BES and have installed BES Express 5.0.4 but when it comes to the database information section the local option is greyed out and only remote is available.

I've uninstalled BES Express and all of the SQL programs and have tried installing BES Express with SQL 2008 and even manually installing SQL 2005 but it persists.

The operating system is Server 2003 SP2 and is only used for BES.

The Exchange server is 2010, installed on Server 2008 R2 (SBS 2011).

Please can anyone point out why it might be doing this?

http://s7.postimage.org/rx8smw5qh/bes.png

Thanks,

Alan

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Express Install - Local database is greyed out

look at this KB

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB28876

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks, I didn't have much time so I ended up formatting/re-installing Windows.

I went through the BES Express setup again (which was supposed to install SQL Server 2008 but it never did) and the option was greyed out again.

I then manually installed SQL Server 2005 and I have the local option

But when I type the server name in and leave the default DB name in there it fails.

When I go into SQL config manager it doesn't show any DB's listed, am I supposed to create this manually? I thought BES setup did this automatically...

Haven't had much experience with BES or SQL before so I'm struggling a bit.

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I install Windows and then creat local account on it for BESAdmin and install SQL while logged in as BESAdmin.

if you dont then you have to do stuff as admin and change back permissions to BESAdmin which isnt fun

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

There's already a domain account called BESadmin, can this be used? Or does it need to be a local account?

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

My Device: Tour 9900
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BES Express Install - Local database is grayed out

The BES installer is failing to install SQL because it needs MS installer 4.5.  I tried to install SQL express 2008 R2 and got the following error.

SQL server setup cannon continue until the following programs are installed. after installing the programs, restart the computer if required, and then restart SQL server setup.

Microsoft Windows Installer 4.5 is available at:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=159619

After installing from the link I was able to install BES 50 on my windows 2008 server and SQL from the BES installer and I now have the local option. Server is win 2008 32bit.

Hope that helps.