Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, Torch 9810, Curve 9360
My Carrier: Rogers

BES Express Testing

Hi there, 

I'm working on an app that requires push notifications that I need to deploy via a client's BES server. I'm sending PAP formatted messages by POST request to the BES server, as in the example on page 17 of this RIM documentation: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12029/Push_applications_for_the_BlackBerry_Ent...

I have all the code ready but I have no way to test if it actually works, and I'd like to ensure a smooth deployment with our clients, so I'd rather not test this with the client's real BES server.

Is there any way for me to test the push notifications with a test BES server? The only option I've found so far is to use BES express, but that requires an Exchange server. I'm working on OS X and would rather avoid setting up a Windows environment, with an Exchange server and BES Express, just for testing.

If this is the only option, I'm considering running an Amazon EC2 instance and installing BES Express on that. Are there any EC2 images with BES Express already installed, or any guides on how to properly do this?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BES Express Testing

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart

I know Zimbra works and there are some other free mailservers out there too.

also a google connector is suppored but dont know about the apps with it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V