Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: 9330
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

BES Server - All users not receiving email on phones - exchange and outlook OK - Please help!

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and looking for someone with more experience with the BES server than myself to help me out pretty fast. I have a client who is running BES (5.0.2 - I think) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise box with Exchange server 2010 installed. Everything has been running absolutely fine for over a year.

I am trying to look at log to determine what's going on, but as of yesterday morning not a single user is receiving email on their blackberry devices. When I log in to the blackberry.com/besc site and run a connection test to the phones, everything passes perfectly. All exchange and bes services are also started on the server.

I try to open a case or open a web chat through the besc but all I get is an error, and when I call support they are very sluggish, unknowledgeable, and unwilling to assist me without paying the $250 one time incident fee, even though I am told free chat is available online (which doesn't work for me). Does anyone know what would simply cause all mail forwarding to stop abruptly? As stated before Exchange services are all up and running and outlook is having no issues sending and receiving mail for the users, it is only the phones having the receiving problem. as far as I know they are able to send but this is something I am trying to confirm with the client, haven't heard back from them yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

New Contributor

Re: BES Server - All users not receiving email on phones - exchange and outlook OK - Please help!

Not sure if this may be realated but I am seeing this error in the alert logs.

[30000] (01/23 06:15:28.487):{0x774} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent vhspwexch001 Agent 1 (Application Event Log on VHSPWEXCH001.HOSPICEWESTAZ.COM) | 01/23/2012 06:15:28 (EFFF2825) -> BlackBerry Messaging Agent vhspwexch001 Agent 1 failed to start. Error code 5305
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: BES Server - All users not receiving email on phones - exchange and outlook OK - Please help!

Looks like users can neither send or receive email on their devices.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

reboot the BES server and see if it is ok after.

if still that error then look at

"Service failed to start, generating error 5305" appears numerous times in the Windows Event Log

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

the BES server and the server itself have been rebooted multiple times since yesterday. I was taking a look at that error, but is this really something that would pop up out of nowhere with no configuration changes made to the system and bring email down for all of the users?

Everything was running fine for over a year and without any updates/changes being made to the system it just stopped working yesterday. I considered upgrading to a newer version but if there is no conclusive evidence that will fix the problem i may be wasting more time. Also I tried to look at the installation/upgrade documentation on this site, but it is all scattered and non-specific so I dont know what types of user or server configurationw ould be wiped out if i did an upgrade...
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

did you check the link I sent on that error?

I would get it fixed before adding a service pack.

Service packs do not remove any data.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

The below portion of the kb article led me in the right direction, it was not the CPAMaxConcurrency value that had to be changed however. I found that the EASMaxConcurrency for activesync was set at the default value of 10. Somewhere along the line the customer must have hit this limit. In the exchange powershell I set the value to $NULL and mail has once again begun flowing to the devices. Thank you for leading me in the right direction!

Resolution 11

Confirm that the following Throttling Policy limits do not have any associated values assigned:
•CPAMaxConcurrency
•CPAPercentTimeInCAS
•CPAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC

To confirm that the above throttling policy values have been removed or are blank with no values, follow the below steps:
1.On a computer that hosts the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell, open the Microsoft Exchange Management Shell.
2.Type Get-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy
3.Confirm the value for the above listed policies.

If the CPAMaxConcurrency, CPAPercentTimeInCAS and CPAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC are not set to Null and have actual values, follow the steps below to remove these values:

Modify the BESPolicy to disable the following throttling values:
1.On the Microsoft Exchange Server, click Start > Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 > Exchange Management Shell.
2.Set-ThrottlingPolicy BESPolicy -CPAMaxConcurrency $NULL -CPAPercentTimeInCAS $NULL -CPAPercentTimeInMailboxRPC $NULL
3.Restart the BlackBerry Controller Service.

Important: Restarting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or its services might delay email message delivery to BlackBerry smartphones.

Note: It might take up to 20 minutes for replication to occur and BlackBerry smartphones to start.
Guru III
My Device:

glad to see you are doing better, thanks for posting your solution