Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

BESX 5 to BES10

Hi everyone,

with the launch of BES10, i was wondering if anyone knew the upgrade path that will be available for BESX companies out there. I am aware that BES5.x will get a free upgrade of their licenses to BES10 and that is great... But i see no mention of the support for BESX. Is Rim getting rid of the ''free express'' type of software and will require CAL's from now on? Or is BES10 basically an integrated BESX and BES that will simply have less functionality if you don't have CAL's?

This is very important for me as it can make or break our transition to BB10 until funding is available. We have been running BESX for 3 years now(so no fees other than support) and if i need to budget extra money for CAL's, i need to make sure my Director is aware.

If anyone from RIM or other knowledgeable source can let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Benoit

Server : BESx 5.0.4(Bundle 38),Mobile Fusion 6.2.0(Bundle 11), UDS 6.1.2(Bundle 16), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP2, 100 users.
Server : BES10(BDS 6.2.0(Bundle 45)), BMS 6.4.0(Bundle 7), UDS 6.2.1(Bundle 10)
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: BESX 5 to BES10

BES Expres CALs will not transfer to BES 10 for free.

BB10 will have EAS for you to use like all other devices so BES 10 wont be needed unless you need IT polices and network access.

BES 10 wll have lots of functionality like the Full BES 5 and some new features too.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hi Knotty,

thanks for the quick reply.. Would the functionnalities behind Balance(server side and  Enterprise App World(Corporate App World) be only available in BES10? Because basically, the new features behind BB10 for the enterprise is definitely something that addresses some problems we have in terms of BYOD and such, so if they are only available under BES10, then that definitely means we have to make the switch. Just trying to know if i am forced to or not to get the basic functionnalities under BB10.. We don't use many IT Policies where I am so i am not really worried about that.

Thanks for letting me know,

Benoit

Server : BESx 5.0.4(Bundle 38),Mobile Fusion 6.2.0(Bundle 11), UDS 6.1.2(Bundle 16), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP2, 100 users.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Balance is only available in BES 10 for BB10 devices

will know more on pricing soon

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Highlighted
Contributor

Hey,

i have been emailing with a representative of RIM on the matter and indeed if i want the full potential and power behind BB10, i will need BES10. I would be able to keep BESX for BB7.x < but then i would only support BB10's under ActiveSync which is not how i want to proceed.

So we will go ahead with the purchase of CAL's.

Thank Knotty for the help,

Benoit

Guru III
My Device:

Your Welcome

info on BES 10 and trade up info if you have some older BES 4.xx or 3.xx CALs

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Service-10/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server...