Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BPS and SBS 2008

Hi!

We are evaluating setting up a BlackBerry Professional Server for max 5 BlackBerry Users (20 Users at all at Exchange) at the moment. For this, we also have to setup a Microsoft Exchange Server. Now that we would like to setup this all new (no Exchange yet in your infrastructure) on new hardware I plan to by the Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard (with Exchange 2007 Standrad) once it is out in a couple of weeks

Since this is a 64-bit only System then I'd like to ask if the BPS is compatible with this environment then. Since this is just a first try to see how all this works the BPS should run on the same machine (I know, this is not the best idea, and once this grows up we'll talk about a BES)

Will BPS on an SBS 2008 work? (The BPS requirement page states just SBS, no Version number)

If not, when will such an environment be supported?

Will it be better to buy SBS 2008 Premium to make use of the SQL Server 2008 too? (Though, this one definitely is not listed as supported piece)

Thanks!

Ciao,

Mario

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: BPS and SBS 2008

imario wrote:

Hi!

We are evaluating setting up a BlackBerry Professional Server for max 5 BlackBerry Users (20 Users at all at Exchange) at the moment. For this, we also have to setup a Microsoft Exchange Server. Now that we would like to setup this all new (no Exchange yet in your infrastructure) on new hardware I plan to by the Windows Small Business Server 2008 Standard (with Exchange 2007 Standrad) once it is out in a couple of weeks

Since this is a 64-bit only System then I'd like to ask if the BPS is compatible with this environment then. Since this is just a first try to see how all this works the BPS should run on the same machine (I know, this is not the best idea, and once this grows up we'll talk about a BES)

Will BPS on an SBS 2008 work? (The BPS requirement page states just SBS, no Version number)

If not, when will such an environment be supported?

Will it be better to buy SBS 2008 Premium to make use of the SQL Server 2008 too? (Though, this one definitely is not listed as supported piece)

Thanks!

Ciao,

Mario

As of this posting BPS will NOT  work with SBS 2008 or any Windows Server 2008 OS hosting the application.  There has been no public indication from RIM if / when WS/SBS 2008 will be supported with BPS / BES.  If you're using SBS I'd actually recommend against getting SQL 2008 unless you have a need for it, considering BES / BPS doesn't support that currently either.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

Thanks for the bleedingly fast answer.

Ok, so the way to go is Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2007 SP, no?

Does it matter if that is 64bit or 32bit. I think 64bit is the way to go, isn't it?

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

imario wrote:

Thanks for the bleedingly fast answer.

Ok, so the way to go is Windows Server 2003 and Exchange 2007 SP, no?

Does it matter if that is 64bit or 32bit. I think 64bit is the way to go, isn't it?

Correct, you'll want to stick with WS 2003 and Exchange 2007 (apply SP1 too).  With Exchange 2007 it needs to be run on an OS that supports 64-bit memory extensions (WS 2003 x64 edition) ... BPS will work with that.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

Thanks alot for your clarifications!
New Contributor

Does anyone have any idea when they are going to have a product that will run on SBS 2008.  I have a client that really want to move to SBS 2008 and they are wanting to keep using the blackberry phones to sync their e-mail, contacts and calendars with the exchange server.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

The release notes on the BTSC for bes 5.0 announce support for 2008 servers.. check it out,

so u would need to uprage from bps to full bes (costly) when 5.0 is released..

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

They will never go for the full version of BES, not for less than 10 blackberries.  I will be cheaper to dump the blackberries and go to IPhones or windows mobile devices that use activesync before they shell out the money for full BES.  Any ideas?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Your choice Smiley Very Happy
***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~