Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How To avoid SQL connectivity problems when re-installing BES Express

Hi,

thanks for showing the major flaw in the setup of RIM.

an experienced exchange admin would know that when dealing with the sendas permissions you can not use a domain admin account

The major issue is that I am not an experienced Exchange Admin and that according to RIM I don't need to be.

I am a Microsoft Small Business Server user that is prepared for dummies like myself.
On SBS I can install antivirus, add users, create a webpage etc..... all without any real "server" knowledge.

for a small company. like mine and Many Many similar small companies, software needs to be well developed.

We (my company) writes software for TV-game shows. Our software and installation procedures are "**bleep** proof"

we teach secretaries to operate the in show graphics software and question databases with zero knowledge of a computer. It's like operating a MAC, anybody can do it.

RIM should try to understand that many small companies don't know much about the use of Exchange, they have a simpe interface to create a user and that is enough.

Installation of BESExpress should be as simple as the installation of Small Business Server 2011 or installing Anti Virus on SBS.
One click and answering some simple questions like: which users would you want to connect a Blackberry to the server and please type the password of the Administrator.

No more, no less.

All SBS machines are the same.
It would not be hard to write a proper installation script for duimmies like me.....

Harpert

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

OK, I think I finally got past the SQL Server stuff.  What I did was downloaded and installed SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.  Then I had to download and install SQL Server Management Studio.  From there, I had to go in and enable TCP/IP on the database.  At that point I got the BES Express installer to find the database.  Sheesh!  I sure hope BlackBerry reads this forum and does something to correct the problems with it's installer.  I truely wasted an entire day and part of a second one trying to figure this out. 

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

RIM has some nice videos to assist with installation which works well most of the time.

Biggest issue is many dont read the directions for making the BESAdmin account and use a normal admin account. It wont work that way. If you have an existing SQL instance you cant have a second account just go in and upgrade it.

RIM can not account for all of the differnet types of setups that can be done on a server.

But what they do supply is good enaough for most people.

Sorry you had some issues and I am not blaming anyone for being right or wrong.

BES is not a simple program, it goes deep into permessions for AD, SQl, Exchange. If you dont know about all of these permissions the install can be a nightmare.

You do get a free support call for installation. I did that years ago because I used an admin account and not the BESAdmin one. 

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 Z10
My Carrier: E-Plsu Vodafone

High Group,

• I using the BESAdmin for Installtion
  • BesAdmin is not member of the Domain-Admin Group
  • besadmin is local admin
  • i installed SQL Express 2008 r2 using the besadmin user, sql services start using this account
  • i activated tcp with fixed port 1433 (dr with dynamic) ports
  • tried to connect using fixed (or dynamic) ports

still i cannt connect to local sql express instance,

the sql installation was detected during set up, set was instructed to use a new local database

System Srv 2008 R2 x64

Exchange 2010 sp3 installed on same machine (only up to 10 bes users)

what should be done?

at the moment I' deinstalling the whole stuff and i try with the included sql express

regards

georg

aka

kidlark

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 Z10
My Carrier: E-Plsu Vodafone

Hi Group,

using the BES Setup to install and create the Database seems to be the trick!.

Now I can give the CAL-Key.

Wow, what a way to waste a Saturday...

Regards
Georg
aka
kidlark