Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BlackBerry Unite! and use two different cell carriers

I am using BPS through my office and see no HMTL email seems to be in the works for BPS, but BBU! has it. My wife is on ATT and I am on Sprint. Can we put our two phones on BBU! even though we are on different carriers? I looked a bit for it and cannot find an answer to that.

I purchased a CAL for my wife to use my BPS at work, and I of course use the BPS from work as well. Things are good, but no HTML email, and with BBU! it looks rather easy to share our calendars, which is a huge bonus for us.

Thanks for the input you can offer.

Thanks

Bob

Sunny South Florida

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

Re: BlackBerry Unite! and use two different cell carriers

Hi pineypl,

BlackBerry Unite! software will allow both of your devices to be connected simultaneously, and you can enjoy HTML emails as a result.

Thank you!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers!
New Contributor

Thanks, that helps.

Now I wonder, can I use email with a Microsoft Exchange Server?

Retired

Hi pineypl,

If you can retrieve email from your Exchange Server using a POP or an IMAP plugin for Exchange, which I'm not sure exist, then you can integrate this with Unite.

To be active on Unite, you don't need an email integration, however, if you follow these steps:

You can add a user to the BlackBerry® Unite!™ software without including an email address. The user can access the shared contacts and
shared calendar information.
1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer using a USB cable. Do not disconnect the BlackBerry device until activation for the
new user is complete.
2. In the BlackBerry Unite! software, click Add a New User.
3. Type the user's name or nickname.
4. Click Add.
5. Activate the BlackBerry Unite! user account.
6. After the activation has completed successfully, click Finish.
Note: To add an email address at a later time, select the user and click Add Email Account.
You can disconnect the BlackBerry device from the computer.

Thank you!

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers!
New Contributor

Thanks Brodie.

That helps a lot, now here is where I am going with this. Unfortunatley I already have BPS on an Exchange server. I can access exchange with imap if I want. I would prefer to use Unite! as it has html email support, BPS of course, does not. 

Do you think if I deactivated my pearl from the BPS, that I might properly use the Unite! with the exchange server?

I ask as when I use Unite! and BPS, I get every email twice, one rendered terribly from BPS and one nicely rendered with Unite!. I would be good with deactivating the BPS link for me and soley using the Unite! Perhaps I should just test it and see how it goes?

Bob

Retired

Hi pineypl,

I agree, testing is the best option, but I have great hope, since you were receiving emails using Unite previously, that this behaviour will continue.

Thank you!

New Contributor

I'll try tonight if I have time (I have a Cub Scout Pack Meeting tonight :-) ) and report back how things went.

The one catch was I was getting email with Unite! but could not send emails from the Pearl. imap and pop are allowed on my exchange server, but was thinking maybe imap or pop was blocked from sending as I was already set with BES services on the Pearl. Perhaps that was blocking the imap or pop.... I may have to do some digging to find out why that was happening.

My user on BES and exchange is authorized for both pop and imap.....

New Contributor

Hi Brodie,

Here are my findings.

Imap worked fine, however I got two of each email, and very strangely, if I replied to an email that had been received via imap, the message to which I replied, would show up as a brand new email on the Pearl. It became irritating quickly.

I did have to adjust my router at work to allow smtp through a different port. Not happy with that. Was hoping the outbound would work through imap. Either way, I am not fond of having smtp and imap open on an Exchange server! So I want out of that method.

I ended up removing Unite! from the Pearl and removed my user and BB device from the Unite! software. In retrospect I think I will use the Unite! simply for a shared calendar for my wife and myself. I will skip the email portion, although I must admit, in a few days of use, html email became quite addictive and made using email super easy on the Pearl. I may have to break down and purchase one of the html email filters like empower or BBSmart.

I reassociated the Pearl with my BPS at the office and am functioning, however the loss of html is terrible.

As before, when I set up Unite! for the calendar, I'll report back.

Thanks for your time and replies on this. Hopefully some of what I wrote will be helpful and make sense.

Cheers

Bob