Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Galaxy Nexus
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Browser policies problem

Hi,

I manage the IT infrastructure at a small company, and am having a strange problem that I just cannot figure out.

I am running BES Express 5.0.3.41 with exchange 2010

We have a sonicwall that has some basic web filters.  Sites like facebook, kijiji, etc are blocked.  When a blackberry user tries to access that site when connected to our wifi network, she understandably gets blocked.

But when she tried again while disconnected to our wifi network and only using the mobile network, she still gets blocked!  I've cleared the browser settings on the blackberry, and have searched online, and through the BES IT policy, but have come up with nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Browser policies problem

What device is user using?

Do you have anything limiting other browsers in BES?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Optarse

I have a 9800 on BES Express. I find that _all_ my web browsing is tunneled through the BES no matter how I configure the device, so everything is subject to the same restrictions as any other machine on the inside of the firewall. Check your web proxy. I'll bet you see her browsing requests originating from the BES machine when she's on the mobile network.
New Contributor

She is running OS 5.0 with a blackberry 9700.
New Contributor

So is this able to be changed or configured with BES express?  I think I saw some ability to change with BES.  

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

On OS 5, You can have them change their default browser to allow them to use their carrier instead of BES for internet access.

KB16463 - How to change the default browser on a BlackBerry smartphone

OS 6 and 7

Simplified browser selection in BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7

How to configure an IT Policy on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to allow only the Internet Browser...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Yup, that worked. Changed the browser to 'Internet browser', and all is well.
Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

glad to hear it

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Optarse

So to the uninitiated (ie me) it would appear that the policy outlined in KB20457 can't be applied to BESX as there is no option "Allow IBS Browser" in the Browser section of the IT policy.

All the solutions for importing those policies appear to apply to BES and not BESX.

As an OS6 user with BESX 5.0.3 MR2, is there any way I can make the same config on my phone?

Guru III
My Device:

To select a browser transport, BlackBerry Browser 6.0 uses a new process that is automatic and transparent to BlackBerry device

users, and it does not permit users to select a browser transport. When a user requests content from a content server by making

a browser request, the BlackBerry Browser selects the browser transport from available browser transports in the following order:

• browser transport that the API specifies

• browser transport that the MDS Browser Domains IT policy rule specifies

• browser transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server if the domain name does not include a period (.) or it is a

private IP address

• direct Wi-Fi transport

• Wi-Fi transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

• browser transport that uses a USB connection to a computer

• wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Internet Service

• wireless network transport that uses the BlackBerry Enterprise Server

• browser transports based on the order in the browser configuration records