11-17-2008 12:09 AM
Hi. I am a very novice admin and I recently installed BPS alongside Small Business Server. My company is currently using it for only 1 device (the boss!), a 8830, and all we wanted to do is sync his calendar items and not emails.
To do this I just created a folder under his email inbox and called it "blackberry folder do not delete" and in BPS I set it to sync his email with that folder. That seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks, his calendar was syncing fine and he wasn't getting any emails to his device. Perfect! Now randomly, a little while ago, his calendar stopped syncing. I've explored every little setting and option I can, but I can't seem to find a solution. I've checked that his wireless sync is on, and I tried to delete the service books and resend them, and I've tried surfing the help pages and support forums, but nothing is helping here.
I've gone through all the logs, and I can't find anything resembling an error. The server is contacting the device fine - I can send new IT policies, resend service books, etc, and the logs show that it's pinging the device and receiving replies. I've restarted the server and restarted the services and still nothing. I've tried begging and pleading with the server and device, and nothing. I went into the Enterprise Activation screen and tried the ALT+CNFG combo and couldn't find anything that looks bad in there. The only thing I haven't tried is wiping the device because it's got all of the boss's personal information and basically entire LIFE on it, and since I've never wiped a blackberry before I'm not sure what the process is to get it back again.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try or what I can look for? Under the user's stats in theBlackberry Manager program it says that last contact time with the phone was 10/24/2008 (I've been working on it off and on since then!). I welcome any and all suggestions on what I can do to try and solve this major headache. I'd even buy anyone who can solve this a case of beer if they live locally to Vancouver! Thanks!
11-17-2008 07:17 AM
Given that the last contact time is last month it sounds like there is a connectivity issue.
Have you tried restarting the server? You've installed BPS alongside SBS ... meaning you've installed BPS on the same server as SBS?
Have you tried sending a PIN message to the device? Also, make sure you confirm the proper data plan on the HH. The 8830 supports both CDMA and GSM; do you have a SIM in this device? What happens if you remove the SIM?
If you'd like, zip up a set of the days BPS logs and email it to BBAndyDufresne@gmail.com. Please also make sure to include a link to this thread so I know what the message is referencing / where to respond ... and post in here indicating that you've mailed them.
I'll post back any relevant content removing anything personally identifiable / confidential.
11-17-2008 09:55 AM
Yes it's installed on the same server SBS. We only have the one server at work so there wasn't much choice in that I'm able to send the device a PIN no problem, I'm able to send it new IT policies and the device actually receives them, I'm able to resend the device service books. It just doesn't seem to want to sync!
The device is on Telus which is CDMA so no SIM, and I have called them a few times to confirm that it is set up properly and have talked to the data department and asked them to make sure everything that should be there is there. I don't think it's an issue with them because the device was sync'ing for two weeks or so before it just stopped contacting the server. I made sure that all the sync'ing stuff in the options is bidirectional as well, just in case.
I'll get you the logs in a little bit when I get to work here. Thanks!
11-17-2008 10:02 PM
Give this a review: KB00075 - Service failed to start, generating error 5302
Your ALRT and CTRL logs are good places to start for errors on the server.
11-18-2008 12:07 PM
11-18-2008 03:36 PM