Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Calendar/Email randomly stopped syncing

Hi.  I am a very novice admin and I recently installed BPS alongside Small Business Server.  My company is currently using it for only 1 device (the boss!), a 8830, and all we wanted to do is sync his calendar items and not emails.

To do this I just created a folder under his email inbox and called it "blackberry folder do not delete" and in BPS I set it to sync his email with that folder.  That seemed to work fine for a couple of weeks, his calendar was syncing fine and he wasn't getting any emails to his device.  Perfect!  Now randomly, a little while ago, his calendar stopped syncing.  I've explored every little setting and option I can, but I can't seem to find a solution.  I've checked that his wireless sync is on, and I tried to delete the service books and resend them, and I've tried surfing the help pages and support forums, but nothing is helping here.

I've gone through all the logs, and I can't find anything resembling an error.  The server is contacting the device fine - I can send new IT policies, resend service books, etc, and the logs show that it's pinging the device and receiving replies.  I've restarted the server and restarted the services and still nothing.  I've tried begging and pleading with the server and device, and nothing.  I went into the Enterprise Activation screen and tried the ALT+CNFG combo and couldn't find anything that looks bad in there.  The only thing I haven't tried is wiping the device because it's got all of the boss's personal information and basically entire LIFE on it, and since I've never wiped a blackberry before I'm not sure what the process is to get it back again.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try or what I can look for?  Under the user's stats in theBlackberry Manager program it says that last contact time with the phone was 10/24/2008 (I've been working on it off and on since then!).  I welcome any and all suggestions on what I can do to try and solve this major headache.  I'd even buy anyone who can solve this a case of beer if they live locally to Vancouver! Smiley Happy  Thanks!

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Calendar/Email randomly stopped syncing

Given that the last contact time is last month it sounds like there is a connectivity issue.

Have you tried restarting the server?  You've installed BPS alongside SBS ... meaning you've installed BPS on the same server as SBS?

Have you tried sending a PIN message to the device?  Also, make sure you confirm the proper data plan on the HH.  The 8830 supports both CDMA and GSM; do you have a SIM in this device?  What happens if you remove the SIM?

If you'd like, zip up a set of the days BPS logs and email it to BBAndyDufresne@gmail.com. Please also make sure to include a link to this thread so I know what the message is referencing / where to respond ... and post in here indicating that you've mailed them.

I'll post back any relevant content removing anything personally identifiable / confidential.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Hi AndyDufresne,

Yes it's installed on the same server SBS.  We only have the one server at work so there wasn't much choice in that Smiley Happy  I'm able to send the device a PIN no problem, I'm able to send it new IT policies and the device actually receives them, I'm able to resend the device service books.  It just doesn't seem to want to sync!  

The device is on Telus which is CDMA so no SIM, and I have called them a few times to confirm that it is set up properly and have talked to the data department and asked them to make sure everything that should be there is there.  I don't think it's an issue with them because the device was sync'ing for two weeks or so before it just stopped contacting the server.  I made sure that all the sync'ing stuff in the options is bidirectional as well, just in case.

I'll get you the logs in a little bit when I get to work here.  Thanks!

New Contributor

Email containing the logs have been sent!  Thanks.
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II

Give this a review: KB00075 - Service failed to start, generating error 5302

Your ALRT and CTRL logs are good places to start for errors on the server.

New Contributor

Hi AndyDufresne - I went through that and checked the registry settings as the knowledge base article said and everything checked out.  The registry settings were all there and all correct.  I tried restarting the services as it says in step 8 anyways, but of course nothing is fixed.  Any other suggestions? Smiley Happy
Forums Veteran II

I would delete the registry settings and re-create the MAPI profiles.  If that doesn't work, I'd open a call with TSupport.

New Contributor

I was thinking of calling them up, I just didn't want to waste my one free support call with them telling me to wipe the device and try that...