Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Can't associate user with device BESX

I have created a user and when I try to associate the user with the connected device, I get the following error message:

The BlackBerry Administration Service was unable to retrieve specific device attributes from the device that is connected to your computer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Can't associate user with device BESX

When assigning a BlackBerry smartphone to a user in the BlackBerry Administration Service the following error appears "unable to retrieve specific device attributes from the device that is connected to your computer"

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20015

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

OK.I followed that KB article to a T, rebooted and I am still getting that error.

Anything else I can look at to troubleshoot?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

So you added the user to BAS and also ran the IEMSTest.exe test for that user?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Yes, I added the user and did the test and everything comes back successful.

One thing to note, I log onto the server using the Administrator account and then log into the BAS using the BESAdmin account.

When I log into the server using the BESADmin account, when I try to go to the BAS, I get a blank page and the login page never appears.  When I try to change my IE settings for security, everything is disabled.

Also, I didn't see where I can select the Administor the Information Store attribute for BESAdmin when I was assigning the Send As.

I think if I could get into the BAS while logged into the server under the BESAdmin account, I think everything would work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Greg

Guru III
My Device:

Do you have both 001e6602 registry entries listed in this KB while logged in as the BESAdmin service account?
http://support.opt3.com/KB/a47/installing-bes-express-on-sbs-may-not-create-correct.aspx

You have to have the send as fixed before the above

While logged in as exchange admin

Assign Send As permissions to all users via Active Directory

1. Open Active Directory.
2. Select the "View" menu and ensure "Advanced Features" is checked.
3. Right mouse click on your domain name and select Properties
4. Select the Security tab
5. Press the Advanced button at the bottom on the security tab
6. Select "Add" and enter your Blackberry Service Account name (e.g. BESadmin) and select OK
7. When the permissions screen appears change "Apply onto:" to "User Objects" (or “Descendant User Objects” on Server 2008)
8. In the permissions box scroll down and check the Allow box beside "Send As" and press OK
9. Press Apply and OK to exit

Contributor

OK.  I didn't have the registry entries.  I added those and I already had the Send As specified correctly.

I restarted the Dispatcher service but I still cannot get into the BAS when I am logged into the server as BESAdmin.  I need to change my security settings in IE and I'm not sure why it isn't allowing me to do that since BESAdmin is in the Local Administrators group on the server?

How can I change my IE settings to allow BESAdmin to use the BAS?

Thanks,
Greg

Guru III
My Device:

Maybe a kerobos issue?

BES AD Account under the Account tab > Account options: Select option: Use Kerberos DES encryption types for this account.

Contributor

None of the other accounts have that selected.  I did select it and try it but the page still comes up blank and I cannot change the security settings for IE.

It's like the BESAdmin account isn't allow to change the settings because they aren't a Domain Admin account.  If I login with my login, the same thing happens on the server only.  I can change the IE settings on my local machine though.  So this must be a server policy setting that only allows Domain Admins to make changes to the security settings in IE.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Is there another way to add a device to a users account other than connecting it via USB cable?  Although I really need to get the BAS working with the BESAdmin account or this is going to be useless.

Guru III
My Device:

Have you tried opening up BAS or WDTM on a workstation?