Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Database Creation

I have installed the BlackBerry Professional and rebooted the server and it is not creating or finding the database.  The software is installed on a Windows 2003 box which is not the Exchange server.  The preinstallation checklist shows everything is fine including "Microsoft SQL Server of Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine database management system Version 8.00.761 detected."  I am trying to install this in a MSDE database. It looks like I am suppose to have an option to create the database before the initial reboot but I do not have it. I am only seeing the two License Agreements, Preinstallation Checklist, Installation Info, Installation Summary, and Install on the left side of the installation window.  I am not sure what to do from here.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Ron

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Database Creation

If nothing is using MSDE try this 

Cancel the install and/or uninstall whatever is currently there for the BES.

Then, you need to install MSDE yourself as a default instance.

Download MSDE 2000a from Microsoft. Run the file to extract the installation files (by default goes to C:\MSDERelA)

Then, from a command prompt in that location, issue the following command.

C:\MSDERelA> setup SAPWD="Password" SECURITYMODE=SQL

This will install a default instance of MSDE. Everything that comes with SBS is always named instances, so there should be no conflicts.

When you setup BES, your SQL server name would be just the machine name and the database of BESMgmt. All should be well.

If you want a named instance, just use this command to set it up instead.

c:\MSDERelA> setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SAPWD="Password" SECURITYMODE=SQL

*Note* Keep the quotes in those above commands as it is a string.

Then the BES install for the SQL server would be "MachineName\InstanceName"

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Will this mess up my current databases?  Using SQL Server Management Express Studio I show my Antivirus database, BKUPEXEC, and MICROSOFT##SSEE.

Thanks again,

Ron

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Are they on MSDE?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

I believe so.  We do not have a full version of SQL Server installed on this machine.
Guru III
My Device:

Thats sounds like a lot of MSDE activity and possibly a fairly busy server.

Do you have a different server that you could install it on?

Contributor

Unfortunately we do not right now.  There has been some talk about it later this year.  There are not too many users hitting it so it is not that bad.  The only other server we have right now is the Exchange server and it is near capacity.  Is there a way to manually create the database or are there any other ways to make this work?

Ron

Guru III
My Device:

[ Edited ]

near capacity?

high IOPS = slow updates, sluggish outlook etc?

Each BPS user will be like adding 3.76 Exchange users.

or

Disk space?

Each user will be adding info to the store in a hidden folder.

Message Edited by knottyrope on 04-17-2009 12:08 PM

Guru III
My Device:

More info on why it did knot install and possible fix

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11232&slic... 0 75598740

Contributor

It is getting to the point where I do not want to add anything else due to the 4 GB RAM limitation.  We still have plenty of disk space and speed is not an issue.

Ron