Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Database Creation

[ Edited ]

I think knottyrope was on the right track initially.

If you already have MSDE instances running, the BPS installer won't create a new instance of MSDE for you. You can see what instances you have running by looking at the services. MSDE instances usually look like: MSSQLSERVER$BKUPEXEC or MSSQLSERVER$SHAREPOINT

You probably don't have a default unnamed instance of MSDE running (i.e. MSSQLSERVER). In the installer, you need to specify the SQL server as well as the instance in the form of Server_name\Instance_name. If you're only putting the server name, then it will try to find an default instance and will fail.

Assuming that's the problem, you can install a new instance of MSDE, or slap on SQL 2005 Express. I cringe at the tought of having both SQL 2005 and MSDE installed so you probably just want to go with MSDE.

[EDIT]

And I just noticed you mentioned you don't want to install anything else on the system. You do always have the option of installing SQL remotely and pointing the installer to that. You can even use SQL 2005 Express for that.

Message Edited by CerealBypass on 04-17-2009 03:27 PM