Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook + Z10 + Z30
Accepted Solution

Do I need to update the MAPI cdo?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I read a lot other topics and often the need to update the MAPI cdo was mentioned.

But I´m not sure if I really need to do it in my situation because I don´t find something in the release notes of the updates I´m going to install. If so: do I have to recreate the MAPI profile without any question or only when problems occur?

I´m running BESX 5.0.2 MR1 Bundle 25, Mapi & CDO 1.2.1 V. 6.5.8211.0, mapi32.dll V. 1.0.2536.0 on a separate Win 2008 R2 SP1 x64 Server with MS SQL Express 2008R2 V. 10.50.1600.1

Exchange 2010 SP1 RU2 is running on another W2008R2 Server. I want to update Exchange to the latest version of SP2 + RU / patches. That´s the reason why I need to update the BESX before. Right now everything is running fine.

Hope someone can clarify what has to be updated and what may only be a fix if problems come up.

TIA

Karsten

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Do I need to update the MAPI cdo?

for latest version of exchange you should update CDO before you upgrade BES.

it might be good to start useing EWS for calenadar instead of CDO. quite  a few report less propblems.

CDO 1.2.1 from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94274318-27c4-4d8d-9bc5-3e6484286b1f&Displa...

KB15779 How to install or upgrade CDO 1.2.1

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor

Hi,

how can I check if EWS is used?

I´m not sure if EWS is in use.

The CDO update should be done before the BESX 503 and the MR2 are installed?

TIA

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

kbe wrote:

Hi,

how can I check if EWS is used?

I´m not sure if EWS is in use.

How to enable BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 to use Microsoft Exchange Web Services

The CDO update should be done before the BESX 503 and the MR2 are installed?  YES

TIA

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

one thing is still not clear to me:

According to KB26802 and KB15779: Only Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 are mentioned in the section about register / unregister the cdo.dll

KB15779 [9....Important:

only perform these steps on a Windows 2003 or 2008 64 bit server and make sure to

unregister and reregister the cdo.dll; otherwise wireless calendar synchronization may not function for all

the BlackBerry Enterprise Server users.

...]

What´s about Windows 2008 R2? Do is also have to unregister / register the cdo.dll on R2?

If the dll is registered to the wrong path the calender snyc will be disabled for all users and can not be enabled again on the besx. How do i enable it again? Only on the users BB in the Calender Options?

And do I have to recreate the MAPI profile without any question or only when problems occur?

cu

Guru III
My Device:

kbe wrote:

Hi,

one thing is still not clear to me:

According to KB26802 and KB15779: Only Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 are mentioned in the section about register / unregister the cdo.dll

KB15779 [9....Important:

only perform these steps on a Windows 2003 or 2008 64 bit server and make sure to

unregister and reregister the cdo.dll; otherwise wireless calendar synchronization may not function for all

the BlackBerry Enterprise Server users.

...]

What´s about Windows 2008 R2? Do is also have to unregister / register the cdo.dll on R2?

If the dll is registered to the wrong path the calender snyc will be disabled for all users and can not be enabled again on the besx. How do i enable it again? Only on the users BB in the Calender Options?

And do I have to recreate the MAPI profile without any question or only when problems occur?

cu

For update you might have to un reg and re reg, i did not on a clean install.

if you update CDO, you must recreate the MAPI profile.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

just for the records:

- first step: installed all important updates from Microsoft on the Domain Controller, Exchange (except the RU6, done that after besx patching), besx and all other MS-Servers in the domain.

- updated cdo like KB26802 and KB15779 suggests including reg / unreg the cdo.dll

- recreated the MAPI profile even when KB10285 states it is only needed in rare conditions: "In rare cases, it may be necessary to recreate the MAPI profile in order for the server to operate effectively"

- installed besx503 (on the running 502MR1 Version)

- installed mr2 for 503

All without probs.

The Exchange was then updated to 2010 SP1 RU6 (SP1 RU2 before). The planned update to SP2 RU2 will follow. Seems there are some glitches with execution policies that can kill the whole Exchange and i will read some more technet before doing this step.

Thanks for your help.

Guru III
My Device:

your welcome, glad to see things are going better