Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Exchange migration question

Hello,

We are currently running on Exchange 2003 and have just set up our new Exchange 2010 server.

I have a BESX server running 5.0.4.27.

I did find BB's article on migrating which has some helpful info but what I'm wondering is, can I move only a few users at a time or does everyone have to be moved at once?

I think if I made a new BESX server I could migrate them a few at a time? I'd like to avoid that though if possible.

Thanks.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Exchange migration question

mteehan wrote:

Hello,

We are currently running on Exchange 2003 and have just set up our new Exchange 2010 server.

I have a BESX server running 5.0.4.27.

I did find BB's article on migrating which has some helpful info but what I'm wondering is, can I move only a few users at a time or does everyone have to be moved at once?

I think if I made a new BESX server I could migrate them a few at a time? I'd like to avoid that though if possible.

Thanks.

you can move one or 2 or 3 or more and the others will still work on old server.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

So even though the server's MAPI profile points to the old exchange server, putting a few users on the new Exchange server still works?

I'm assuming I would want to point the MAPI profile to the new server before moving anyone?
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

mteehan wrote:
So even though the server's MAPI profile points to the old exchange server, putting a few users on the new Exchange server still works?

I'm assuming I would want to point the MAPI profile to the new server before moving anyone?

correct

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Yes, the new server will need to be resolved in the MAPI profile.  As part of the migration to support Microsoft Exchange 2010, the BlackBerry service account will need to be either migrated to 2010, or a new 2010 mailbox will need to be created with permissions to access both the 2010 server and the old 2003 server.  The MAPI profile will need to be changed to resolve to the CAS for the 2010 server, and 2010 will proxy any calls to 2003 mailbox servers if necessary.

The BlackBerry service account needs to be a 2010 mailbox because Exchange will only allow a custom throttling policy to be applied to a 2010 mailbox.  Without a custom throttling policy, you'll be able to get 20 users working, at a maximum; probably less.

Contributor

Great, thanks to both of you for your help.
Guru III
My Device:

how are you doing on your migration?

Contributor

Slow. I've been trying to get someone with an older device running on the BESX server to give me their phone so I can move their box and make sure everything works but no one seems very inclined to do so. They'd rather just complain about how slow Outlook

I'd like to just get everyone off BESX and move them to either a BB10 device or iPhones/Androids.

For now I'm working on testing UDS since most of our users don't even want a Blackberry although that's having its own issues.
Guru III
My Device:

i know, I had similar issue here when we moved to exchange 2010

I ended up using transporter and no one noticed that except on esaw the screen do something odd LOL, then i moved the mailboxes after during off hours and they did not notice that.