Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold

Folder Redirection and Hide Filed Messages for mail routed to sub-folders

I'm using BPS 4.1.4.3 on a Server 2003 member server in an SBS 2008 domain with Exchange 2007.  I have a single-device mobile environment, using a bold handset. 

In my scenario, I subscribe to several mailing lists and I use server-side processing rules to route inbound mail at the server to sub-folders of my inbox.  I would like a few of these folders sync'd with the mobile handset.  In particular, I do NOT want to be notified that there is new mail being delivered to the handset when the messages hit the sync'd sub-folders (they are very active discussion lists, and I don't want to be distubed by constant new-mail notifications).  I want the content sync'd to the handset so that I can occassionally browse to the sub folder on the handset where I can process messages; I want deletes and read changes to sync back to the server as I process the items.

I have used a Windows Mobile device and Active Sync, which handled this scenario exactly.  New mail hits server, server-side rule processed the message to the sub-folder, and I had the option in the handset to pick that sub-folder as one to keep sync'd.  No notification of new mail that was delivered to the sub folder, yet the handset/server stay in sync as mail in those specified folders was processed.  This is what I'm after....

And I'm close with the current BPS and Bold configuration.  But there's one glitch so far - I'm receiving notifications of new messages as they arrive to the mailing list sub folders, and the new messages are being displayed in the handset Inbox (along with the flashing LED) until I read them, and then once marked as read on the handset they are hidden from the Inbox view (but still sync'd in the sub folder).

Configuration changes that I've made on the BPS include enabling hard delete reconcilliation.  On the handset, I've selected the sub folders (or maybe I did that in the BPS console).  And I've configured Hide Filed Messages, and Hide Sent messages on the handset.

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing here? 

Contributor
My Device: 9000

Re: Folder Redirection and Hide Filed Messages for mail routed to sub-folders

[ Edited ]
Hi Jason, i'm interested to know how you hard set the outlook folder Rules on the server. It might apply to my situation.. 
Edit - bummer Just read your using exchange 2007 within a 2008 domain. I'm using exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2003 domain.
Message Edited by Awiggan on 01-05-2009 10:55 AM

Hi Awiggan,

I set the rules in this case using Outlook, using Outlook 2007.  As far as I'm aware, there's little, if any difference, in how the rules are created, between the different versions of Outlook or Exchange.  In my scenario, I know the rules are server-side processed, as the routing to sub-folders occurs whether Outlook is running or not. 

I've opened a ticket with RIM on this particular item.  Unfortunately, the KB article that they cite where this behaviour is "by design" is not public (their KB # is 16356), so I could not know the answer before opening a support call and talking with BlackBerry Technical Support. 

Cheers!

New Contributor

I opened a support incident, and Blackberry Technical Support advise that this behaviour is "by design", and no timeline to introduce changes to the behaviour are known.  KB article from Tech Support pasted in below for reference.

-JM

Doc ID : KB16356

document Type : Support

environment

BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.0 & 4.1

- Microsoft Exchange

- Lotus Domino

- Novell GroupWise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview

Filed messages in Outlook appear as new messages on the BlackBerry device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause

When new messages are filed to folders within the mailbox by mailbox rules and these folders are redirected to the BlackBerry device, these messages will appear as new messages on the BlackBerry device until marked as read if the option of "Hide Filed Messages" is set to "Yes". This behavior is be design.

Resolution

None, issue escalated to internal development.

Workaround

Mark messages as read and have the option of "Hide Filed Messages" set to "Yes".

Products

BlackBerry Enterprise Server

Contributor
My Device: 9000

alright Jason thanks for the insight i'll keep an eye on the thread
My Device: Not Specified

Morning

At work we run an SBS 2003 server and have a similar problem.

I run a normal PC with Office 2003 and Outlook 2003, email filters set on the computer work fine with the blackberry, if I move mail around, read/unread mail this all transposes itself onto the blackberry.

2 of my colleagues have Office 2007 and Outlook 2007. Email filters do not work properly on these 2 machines, and emails moved around do not always follow on the blackberry. We have had to hide filed messages to hide the messages filed to spam, or filtered by Outlook into different folders but new items filtered by Outlook are not then sent to the right folder when they hit the blackberry.

Is this the same problem you guys are having and is it linked to Office/Outlook 2007>?

Thanks

Tom

My Device: BB Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Guys, this is a bug hence the reason there mention of SDR232954 at the top of the article KB16356.

We need to watch of a new HF or SP which hopefully will include a fix for it.

cheers

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Doubt there will be any HF or SP now that BES Express is out.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Please can someone confirm if this issue ( KB16356 ) has been resolved?

Currently running BES EXPRESS 5 and this issue is happening on our users . Handsets we have are BB 8900

Please help as this is causing great problems.

Thanks

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

knot that i know of.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V