Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange UK

Get Images not working on BES Express Account

I have a BB Bold 9900, it’s on latest firmware (7.1.0 Bundle 1149), which was supplied by Brightpoint GB.

My cellular provider is Orange UK.

I have a hosted Exchange 2010 service that has BES Express bundled with it - which I have to assume is the current version with all patches

So here’s the rundown...

The BB has a BESx and Gmail email accounts on it.

All contacts, tasks, notes, email bodies,  calendar etc. sync without issue on the BESx account.

All Gmail syncs OK – I don’t sync Cal or contacts from Gmail.

Now..

If I have an HTML email in the BESx account, that has images embedded into the mail, they will show OK.

If I have an HTML email in the BESx account that has image placeholders and uses links to pull in images (an email from Amazon / Paypal / Ebay or similar that has their logos in placeholders in the email is a good example of what I referring to), so that you have to hit “Get Images” to show the images in the email, then after a couple of minutes after pressing “Get Images”, I get red “x” in the placeholders and the images are not shown – as if they can’t be found.

If I follow the usual “If you are having problems viewing this email, click here to open it in  a browser” link in an email, I can always see the browser version OK, but this doesn’t allow the linked images to be shown in the email.

If I forward the email onto my Gmail account (from the BB), wait for it to be received, open it in Gmail and select “Get Images”, then the images are downloaded and displayed in a couple of seconds, if not automatically in the Gmail account.

If I then go back to the BESx account and look at the mail I have just forwarded, I can now see the images, with no further action – so this suggests they are now cached on the device.

The problem exists if I am connected via 3G, Edge, Wi-Fi or UMA (on Orange), with all enabled or only Wi-Fi or cellular.

There are no error messages displayed, other than the red “X” in the place holders.

This is what I have done so far:

1. Deleted the BESx service books, rebooted and had them sent out again.
  2. Done a local secure wipe (all data) and reset the device with BB Desk top Manager (at least twice!)
  3. Had the BESx account deleted and reconfigured at least 3 times.
  4. Had a new clean IT policy created and pushed out to the device
  5. Then all in one go, remote wiped, had the BESx account deleted, the connection to the Exchange account severed, then locally secure wiped to remove all user data, reset to  factory defaults via the Support Tools in Desktop Software and then reflashed the device and started from scratch, only loading Enterprise Activation and reconnecting to the BESx server - no other software installed.

None of the above fix the issue.

In the BB email preferences for BESx:

Enable HTML email and download images automatically are both checked.

Confirm External Image download is greyed out, with the box unchecked and a padlock next to it – so I can’t change this item with the default IT policy. When the blank IT policy was pushed out, this removed the lock and I received notification that images would be downloaded etc, but the placeholder still gets the red "x" - so this didn't fix it either. (Device rebooted / battery pulled)

I have spoken with Orange CS (to someone in the UK who had a brain) who escalated to Small Business, even though it’s a domestic account, to check that there isn’t any provisioning on the account that could cause it – there isn’t, as they have no control over the BESx data tunnel.

The Exchange host insists that no one else has this problem on their servers, all my settings are the same as everyone elses and there is nothing else they can do without making server wide changes, which they are not going to do.

I know one other person who has a hosted account that resides on the same server, different domain though - they don't see this problem.

The Exchange host (Simply Mail Solutions) has run out of ideas to try, so I (we) now welcome any suggestions that might reveal what the problem is or how it can be fixed. (Perhaps a data logging option on the device or BESx?)

There's still an open support ticket with Simply Mail Solutions, if anyone from RIM or a BESx Guru would like to pick this one up and ask SMS for information!

Help!!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Get Images not working on BES Express Account

I did see this on another forum, but since you have a hosted account its going to be hard to get them to look at it.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-admin-corner/259600-images-not-showing-blackberry-browser.html

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange UK

I forwarded on the suggestion to the BESx/Exchange host. However, they pointed out that other users aren't suffering the same problem....

Since then I have added another two handsets to the account, so now there are 3 on different mail boxes.

All have the same problem. all have latest firmware installed.

1. Bold 9900, Supplied by Brightpoint, on Orange
  2. Bold 9790, Supplied by O2, on O2
  3. Curve 8520, Supplied by Carphone warehouse, on Orange.

This should sort of rule out carrier / handset supplier issues..?

Today, I was given access to another test email account (I'm waiting to find out if it was allocated on the same servers or not) and I still suffer the same problem.

I'm really running out of ideas here, as are the host.

So, next steps I have are physically visiting with wiped handset in hand, to see if they do anything different during config, and to try a different SIM on perhaps Vodafone or someone else, to see if it works...

Is there any specific logging that can be turned on to identify where the fault lies?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the hoster can look at the logs of the BES server

You can access the logs on the device though, most of it is cryptic

To access the log files, hold ALT and press LGLG from the Home screen. This will show the debug log.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V