Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

MAPIMailbox::UpdateMessageStatus - GetProps [0x00040380] failed Error Message

Hi All,

I'm taking a shot in the dark here as I've found limited to no info on this error message.  This is a BB error that appears in the event viewer on our Exchange box.  Here's what's been done so far:  I've checked Google, other BB support forums and Event ID with no luck.  The "limited" info I've found suggests this is a non-issue and can be ignored.  However, that is incorrect for two reasons--  1) It is assumed that this error occurs on a BES and the BES can be upgraded to fix it.  But we have a BPS.  Also, I happen to know that it is a problem as the error corresponds to my phone.  The phone itself does not update in a timely fashion; emails deleted from Outlook remain on the phone for hours and sometimes days.  I've tried everything from a forced reconcile all the way up to wiping and reloading the device.  The phone not updating is only a minor annoyance to me but this issue came up as I was looking into another problem for a different user and I think solving this problem might help me with the other one.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: MAPIMailbox::UpdateMessageStatus - GetProps [0x00040380] failed Error Message

If the user is moving many emails then this is normal.

You could try increasing the message state size from 100 to about 500 or equal to the amount of emails in the inbox.

To change the number of tracked messages

1. Open BlackBerry Manager.
  2. In the Explorer view, click Server.
  3. On the Server Configuration tab, click Edit Properties, then click Messaging.
  4. In the Performance section, change the value of the Message State Database Size field to the number of messages you want to track for hard delete support (the maximum is 1000).
  5. Restart the BlackBerry Enterprise Server services.

Important: Restarting certain BlackBerry Enterprise Server services will delay email message delivery to BlackBerry smartphones. For more information, see KB04789.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Re: MAPIMailbox::UpdateMessageStatus - GetProps [0x00040380] failed Error Message

Hi knottyrope,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I don't think this applies as the amount of mail is fairly low.  As well, I have some power users that pump a much higher volume of mail each day but do not have this issue.  I have the message state size set to 750 for them.  If you need any other info, please let me know.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Could try changeing from 750 to 1000.

How many emails are in thier inbox? 

If the user is really having some weird issues with it you could try moving them to a different storage group.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Mailbox has 15 emails in it (in Outlook) but can sometimes grow to 45-50 on the BB device, even though they have been deleted from Outlook.  Also, completely wiped out the account/phone and reloaded from scratch to no avail.

Thanks again,

Guru III
My Device:

Could be an exchange issue sort of.

Try this if you can

Remove user from BPS

move the affected user to a different storage group

Add user back to BPS and activate.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi knottyrope,

I have tried removing the user from the BPS and then reinstalling but not changing storage groups.  I'll give this a shot and let you know what the results are.  Thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

just in case you need it 

How to move a Microsoft Exchange mailbox for a BlackBerry smartphone user

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11776

New Contributor

Many moons later, this issue is resolved.  Although only semi-annoying and not a business critical problem:  two wipes, two user removals (from BPS) and reinstalls and a device software upgrade to the new 5.0 for good measure and the errors have stopped coming into the event logs.

*Whew*  Heckuva run-on sentence.

Thanks again for your help, the database move KB went into the toolkit for future reference as well.

Guru III
My Device:

Glad to hear things worked out.