Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Move Users from Professional Server to Enterprise Server

We recently increased our BlackBerry's to more than 30 and decided to do a fresh install of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  What is the least painful way to move users from Professional to Enterprise?  The few I have moved over so far, including my own, were done by deleting the user from Professional, wiping the BlackBerry, adding the user in Enterprise and then reactivating.  One problem with that method is that all of the mail that was on the BlackBerry is lost and only new e-mails load onto the BlackBerry.
Walt
Cape Bank
CMCH, NJ
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Move Users from Professional Server to Enterprise Server

waltcott wrote:
We recently increased our BlackBerry's to more than 30 and decided to do a fresh install of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  What is the least painful way to move users from Professional to Enterprise?  The few I have moved over so far, including my own, were done by deleting the user from Professional, wiping the BlackBerry, adding the user in Enterprise and then reactivating.  One problem with that method is that all of the mail that was on the BlackBerry is lost and only new e-mails load onto the BlackBerry.

The easiest would be to perform a knife-edge cutover / migration and then you wouldn't have to reactivate anyone.  Look at the upgrade / installation documentation.

You'd need to use the old / current SQL database on the BPS server; so anyone already migrated would need to migrate again.  Did you install SQL 2005 Express or SQL 2005 Standard, or something else for the new server database?

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Both servers are running MSDE as their database engine.  The solution you are suggesting is to run the besmigration.exe with the appropriate arguments?
Walt
Cape Bank
CMCH, NJ
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

waltcott wrote:
Both servers are running MSDE as their database engine.  The solution you are suggesting is to run the besmigration.exe with the appropriate arguments?

No, do not use besmigration.exe.  Instead you shut down server 1, take a copy of the database, and move it over to server 2, and then install.  Make sure server 1 and server 2 have the exact same windows / netbios names for ease.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/