Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: non blackberry user
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Need advice for moving Bes to different server

Hi,

I'm following Blackberry Knowledge Base Article ID: KB22499...

A bit of background info - right now I have the following config:

(SQL 2005 Express + Bes 5.0.2 + Exchange 2003) on 1 physical server (FYI I didn't implement this %$&$&!) Smiley Mad

I want to end up with the following config:
(Sql db moved to SQL 2008 R2) on a currently running SQL Server in our lan
(Bes 5.0.2 migrated via High Availability) to new(er) dedicated Bes server
(Exchange 2003 migrated to 2010) on new server already configured

I'm going to migrate the exchange 2003 to 2010 mailboxes after I've migrated the Bes server & database off of our current Exchange 2003 server.

I'm following the steps on KB22499 and I'm on task one which points to KB03112 (moving config db to new Sql Instance), in KB03112 I've gotten up to task 2-step4 and this is where I'm having the difficulty... I know how to stop services/make backup up/etc but I can't prepare the schema using "createdb.exe BESMgmt.cfg" on the SQL 2008 R2 server because I get the dreaded "Unexpected BES Type ExchangeX" error". So I can't prep the schema prior to the restore of the db...

Should I (from the newly dedicated bes server) use the BB express source files installer to create blank database on our remote SQL 2008 R2 server and then restore the BB config database to it???

I'm not sure I'm supposed to do that because later on (in KB22499 Task 2-step5) - I'm supposed to NOT INSTALL as a new server but "install as a standyby server" for the high availability...

I could just skip preparing the schema and restore the config db backup to the SQL 2008 R2 server and then "install as a standby server" on the new Bes via the installer but will that process properly prepare the schema????

Thanks,
Jason

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Need advice for moving Bes to different server

BES express does not support HA and might be easier to install new BES and use transporter to new BES.

Did you use the creatdb from an Express install or a Full paid BES install? It does make a difference in whcih one you use.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks for the response!!!

Doh, I didn't know that the HA failover couldn't be used - I need more experience in the BB server area for sure...

I used the createdb from the BesX_express_5.0.2.exe file... I guess my options now is a knife-edge cutover or using the transporter tool?

We have some policies in place that I want to preserve - what would be the best KB article to follow in my situation?

Jason

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

knife edge would be good or copy down the policy and add it to the new one.

if using a remote database, you can add a second BES to it and move users with BAS to new BES.

there are a few choices to make.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

I like the idea of making the config db remote and then adding a second bes to it... is there a KB article that describes that process?

I've also read this and it looks pretty interesting --> LINK

I don't understand the significance of an SRP and how it relates to more than one BBx server.

One question however - if I want to make the db remote (KB03112) Task 2-step4, I still can't run the "creatdb.exe BESMgmt.cfg" to update the schema on our already existing SQL 2008 R2 box...  do I want to restore the current backup of the config db to the new sql box without doing this step?

I'd like to start with moving the db of our current bes and then move forward at that point.

Thanks,
Jason

New Contributor

Good morning,

I was looking into this further and found KB12304 and the sounds like a winner for BesX To BesX migration.... however I'm still puzzled by Task 1-step A which brings me back to the KB03112...

Basically the plan now is too move the config DB (Sql 2005 Express) to a SQL 2008 R2 box that is currently in production - and then I can continure with migrating the BesX to new hardware.

But I still get the "Unexpected BES Type ExchangeX" error when running "createdb BESMgmt.cfg".... can I just restore a backup of the current config db to the SQL 2008 R2 box without this step? 

I've seen tons of threads on the internet in regards to not being able to run the createdb process but I don't know why it's important or if I can proceed without finishing that process...

Thanks,
Jason

New Contributor

Hi all...

I resolved the issue thanks to the awesome support of the Blackberry Expert support center and this forum...

I'm posting what I did so that it may be helpful to people in the future...  

Task: Move to a different BesX server with same db name and same SRP info

Documented the current in use SRP & CAL Info.
Stopped Bes services on current Bes/Exch server, backed up the db.
Installed BES 5.0.2 on to the new Bes via the Besadmin domain account - I named the server with a different name than our orignal Bes.
Created a new database on the install (same db name) and pointed to the remote SQL 2008 R2 box
*CAVEAT* The SRP ID & auth key have to be entered as lowercase - although it will display as uppercase... weirdness in 5.0.2
Rebooted and finished the install (didn't start the BES services)
De-attached and rehomed the data/log db files, then re-attached and did a SQL restore of the BES db
Started the BES services on the new Bes
Went into the BAS url and selected  "manage multiple users", the selected "Switch BlackBerry user to different BlackBerry Enterprise Server",
Then I selected the new Bes server name and applied the change... just don't forget to allow the communication via the firewall if the IP's change...

Tested and the users are sending/recieving just fine now!!!

Guru III
My Device:

glad to hear support too care of you