Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: Mobitel
Accepted Solution

New Microsfot SBS 2011, new domain,users...How move users from 4.x BES to BES Express 5.03

Hello.

In few days I will deliver new server to company. There are about 10 users most of all using BB phones.

Currently they are using SBS 2003, BES is installed on Windows XP, Exchange 2003 is on SBS server.

Now they will have SBS 2011 (with exchange 2010 SP2). I installed BES Express 5.03 on another Microsoft 2008 R2 Server,  member  of SBS 2011 domain(it's new domain with new users, not migrated from old server).

What is the most easy way to activate users on new BES server (without loosing data on BB phones)? Do I really need first  to Wipe their phones(I read that on forums) and then activate them?. I do not use Blackberry phone so I don't nothing about how to wipe etc. and how to get data back to BB phones.

I need some advices from you experts :-)

Regards,

Marko

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: New Microsfot SBS 2011, new domain,users...How move users from 4.x BES to BES Express 5.03

since it is a new domain, you have to back them up, wipe, restore data and then activate on new BES.

why? because the encryption keys are present and only a wipe removes it.

You could use a service like B Nator, but the cost of it for 10 users might be a it high for your liking.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Re: New Microsfot SBS 2011, new domain,users...How move users from 4.x BES to BES Express 5.03

Well, what is the correct procedure, I mean which steps should I use?

If I understand I should make backup using Blackberry Desktop software, wipe phones using wipe function on BB phones (not using some function in  BES 4.x) , then Restore data again using BB Desktop software and finally make a new activation for every user. Should  old BB server be online or can switch it off before wiping phones?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

MarkoBB2012 wrote:

Well, what is the correct procedure, I mean which steps should I use?

If I understand I should make backup using Blackberry Desktop software, wipe phones using wipe function on BB phones (not using some function in  BES 4.x) , then Restore data again using BB Desktop software and finally make a new activation for every user. Should  old BB server be online or can switch it off before wiping phones?

does nt matter if you wipe from BES of by phone. BES might be a bit easiser though, just make sure device is backed up prior

wont matter if BES is on or not, but remove user from old BES 20 minutes before you move the mailbox to new server. this will remove the hidden folder in the mail box that retains searches.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor

Can I backup phones few days later and re-activate them later too (I dont' believe all users would leave their phones at company and wait all the time to backup them,wipe,restore and activate again)? Migration of the server will be on Friday night / Saturday and there will be no user in company.

Guru III
My Device:

so long as you have a good backup i dont see an issue

New Contributor

Ok, we made the migration this weekend.BESX works fine. I have just troubles when importing data back from backup. After restoring from backup I found out that every contact is doubled. (I first made data restore to phone and after that activated the BB phone). Where did I go wrong and how to correct it. Can I delete all the contacts and somehow just import contacts from the backup?

Guru III
My Device:

are they duplicated in the mailbox as well?

New Contributor

No, they are not. In Outlook mailbox everything is ok

Guru III
My Device:

then users might have 2 service books marked Desktop and will need to delete the offending one.