Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Sprint

Problem with reinstall of BES Express 5.0.4

[ Edited ]

I am reinstalling BES Express on a SBS 2008 machine running Exchange 2007.  I followed the KB and did a complete uninstall.  I am reinstalling using the same BESmgmt SQL database.  It is being reinstalled on the same machine it was running on prior. The reinstall runs fine up to the BlackBerry CAL and SRP information page.  The SRP host and SRP auth info is prepopulated by the info pulled from the BESmgmt database.  I have checked to make sure all that info is still the same as when it was first installed over 3 years ago.  I am able successfully verity the SRP host, but when I try to verify the SRP auth info, the installed locks up and cannot be closed out unless I reboot the whole machine.  I checked the installer log and it's last entry is:

[30000] (06/03 09:08:23.782):{0x1A90} <3>Jun 03 09:08:23 TRICAPSBS  {0xF0C} 0495: (#10000) CE.dll is not initialized. Please call CE::Initialize.

I checked and there was  not ce.dll in Windows\System32 directory.  I extracted the File_1_0_ce.dll.13885789_F390_406E_8536_52B15EF2FF01 file from the CE cab in the installer files, renamed it to ce.dll, copied it to the Windows\System32 directory, ran regsvr32 to install the .dll.

Still have the same problem, it's locking up and appears to still be looking for that ce.dll

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Problem with reinstall of BES Express 5.0.4

1. Click Start > Run.

2. Type regedit.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application.

4. Change the value of BESCryptoKernel to the correct path for the CE.dll file.

or

Replace the CE.dll using a copy taken from another BlackBerry Enterprise Server with the same version. To perform this task, complete the following steps:

1. Locate a BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is running the same version as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is experiencing the problem.
  2. On the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is experiencing the problem, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Winnt\System32 .
  3. Right-click on the CE.dllfile and record the version number.
  4. Rename the CE.dllfile.
  5. On the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is not experiencing the problem, locate the CE.dllfile and verify that it matches the recorded version number.
  6. Transfer a copy the CE.dllfile to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that is experiencing the problem.
  7. Click Start > Run.
  8. Type regsvr32 ce.dll, and then click OK.
  9. Restart the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to initialize the new CE.dll file.

Important: Restarting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server will delay email message delivery to BlackBerry smartphones. For more information, see article KB04789.

Should the above steps not be possible, complete the following steps:

1. Rename ce.dll found in \Windows\System32\ to ce.old
  2. Complete a clean uninstall of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, as per KB0496
  3. Re-install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the same configuration database, server name and service account.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Unfortunately, did not work.  Made registry change of the BESCrytoKernel from %CE.dll to C:\Windows\system32\ce.dll.

Rebooted server, reran setup, it picked up at last point of CAL and SRP info, same lockup.

I do not have another server running BES to copy the .dll from

Any other ideas?

New Contributor

We were finally able to get it reinstalled and working properly.  Thank you Knotty for your assistance.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

glad you have it working now

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V