Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrating BES Express to new hardware?

its just a name, call it what ever you want.

Transporter will use the differnet database names and not really care about the BES names

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: BES 5.0.3
My Carrier: verizon

Alright..Thank you for all your help!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you are welcome

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor

Shoot...more questions.

We are also migrating to new exchange server. During BES setup for the mapi settings should I put in the current exchange info since nothing is moved over yet? I'm guessing I can use the same besadmin mailbox account that is already being used too since that will be moved over also?

Guru III
My Device:

Contributor

ok great I did review a similar document. This will be a bit easier migration as its 2010 to 2010. Just moving everything to a new cloud site within the same domain. We have not moved any mailboxes yet.

Just wanted to make sure that as I build up the new server and services I'm doing it correctly.Now I'm thinking on the new server I might want to create a different mailbox so as I move users over they will be on the new bes connection as well and the folks on the old server are stil functional. Does that make sense?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well since I totally hijacked this thread let me start from the beginnig as I'm confusing myslef at this poing.

Scenario - Site A within Domain me.com has Exchange 2010 standard with BES express 5.0.3 installed.

We are moving away from that site and building up servers at a cloud site. The new site is still within the same domain. It will also have a DC as well. The new exchange servers are up and running. So from here is where I wanted to find the best migration strategy for BES.

Do I install a new instance of BES (get new SRP, etc) along with the database adn use the transporter tool to move users? Is it ok to use the same BES mailbox and move it over via exchange, then move users? I'd like a way to test with users before moving everyone if possible.

I read this in another thread.

* install a new BES 5 Express on the server you want

* test with one user

* Use transporter from the BRK to move users over to new server

If I did this could I test without moving over the bes mailbox?

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

are both domains in the same exchange org?

if not then transporter will not work and you will have to backup, wipe, restore and activate the users on new BES

if in same exchange org then you should be able to move users to new BES and then move the mail boxes over.

Contributor

yes same exchange org.

Once i move them to the new BES with transporter will they need to be re-activated?

Again thank you for all your help!

Guru III
My Device:

raymo12 wrote:

yes same exchange org.

Once i move them to the new BES with transporter will they need to be re-activated?

Again thank you for all your help!

no, transporter makes it seemless to end users

I moved 100+ accounts and only 1 person noticed the mini activation.