Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: SP6 love for BPS?

All of you have to realize that updates have to go through loops with Change Management, etc.

All Feature Enhancement requests have to be processed and go through the right channels.

Sit tight. I'm sure someone's working on it somewhere.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

It'd be nice if there was a roadmap of sorts but there isn't.

Without a roadmap or any insight to what RIM has planned this is what happens.  Frustration, confusion, and a lot of non-answers.

If there was a schedule or a plan released as to when SP6 would be available for BPS I'm sure this conversation wouldn't have even taken place.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

But in a software development world, there's so many things that have to be tested, worked out and broken again before it can be considered a candidate for release.

Roadmaps are vague.

They give you a general idea of when things will be out, but then when something happens and development hangs, everyone gets angry at that fact too.

In short... There's just no pleasing people these days.

Message Edited by JackBerry on 08-07-2008 10:25 AM
Forums Veteran II

JackBerry wrote:

In short... There's just no pleasing people these days.

I couldn't disagree more. I work for a company that produces software.  Customers always ask 2 things:

1) What version will have X functionality

2) When will X version be available

Sometimes the answer to #1 isn't known so #2 can't be answered ... so I guess if that is the case; well that is that.

But in the case that you know what version a function will be included you can clearly figure out when that version will be released.  If you don't know when that version will be released; or at least when it will be scheduled then there is a flaw in the process.

Customers plan for features and functionality; not letting them know what is coming, even if they exact details change, is wrong and a disappointment.

Want to please me?  Give me an estimate of when SP6 for BPS will be available ... heck, last year there were estimates that SP5 would be out in November, and it would include HTML email ... sure those dates were never met, and neither was the functionality, but at least I had an idea of what RIM was planning.  I felt informed, at least to a degree.

Don't leave your customers in the dark; ever.

New Contributor

Do you REALLY think that they're just going to completely forget and leave BlackBerry Professional users out of the Rich Content loop?

As I said, be patient.

Forums Veteran II

Forget, absolutely not.

But it just doesn't seem to be anywhere priorty list.  No communication at all; that is what is unacceptable.

BES and Unite! have Rich Text support, with no signs of anything for BPS.  I guess we should just accept this as how RIM does its thing.  No / poor communication, releasing incomplete software (SP6 without the OCS client) earlier than planned ...

Yeah, I guess, I'll be patient ...  too bad my customers arent and RIM makes me look bad because I have no information for them.

New Contributor

I'm not about to get in a shouting match over this.

SP6 was released early to resolve the PDF distiller issue.

The OCS client is available as an independent download.

Forums Veteran II

JackBerry wrote:

I'm not about to get in a shouting match over this.

SP6 was released early to resolve the PDF distiller issue.

The OCS client is available as an independent download.

Who's shouting?  Certainly not I.

SP6 was released early to resolve the PDF distiller issue, when at the same time a hotfix for SP5, SP4, etc was released?

An entire service pack release for a single bug?  I don't know about you, but I don't release a service pack into production without at least a week / few weeks of test.  A hotfix / patch however, I'd be MUCH more likely to release into production after some basic functionality tests.  Especially when the hotfix is as manual as this one was with unregistering / re-registering dll's ... makes me think it was an afterthought with the manual process required.

Any Enterprise that immediately deployed SP6 when it was released into production either:

1) Doesn't have a change management process

2) Doesn't care about change management

Sure everyone was interested in SP6, but they would have been just as interested 2 weeks later when the release was complete. Every customer I worked with, implemented the hotfix, not SP6; maybe I'm conservative.

Yes, the OCS client is available as an independent download; but it should have been included in the SP6 release as was documented.  The point I'm trying to drive home here is the communiction problem / lack of consistent communication from RIM; that is the issue ... I don't think I'm asking too much here.

New Contributor

I feel duped into recommending BPS for my company. We pay a small fortune every month per phone to RIM. I am getting very interested in Windows Mobile which would allow me to ditch this antiquated software.

Forums Veteran II

tedsch wrote:

I feel duped into recommending BPS for my company. We pay a small fortune every month per phone to RIM. I am getting very interested in Windows Mobile which would allow me to ditch this antiquated software.

Huh?

You feel duped for not doing enough research sounds more like it.  At a 30 user max, you're certainly not paying a small fortune to RIM ... in fact you're paying whatever your "fortune" is to your carrier.

Any other whining?