Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

SQL Server Not Found

During the last phase of installation, where you have the SQL Server Name and the "BESmgt", I click next per the video manual and I should be able to create the database, but it just says the SQL server not found.  I've followed the instructions to a "T".  The only thing I see different from the instructions and my installation is that the software never prompts me for the SQL Option. It says it has detected the SQL but I don't have the option of having the SQL on a remote server or local.  How do I get the express software to see my SQL server?  Thanks!
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: SQL Server Not Found

Where is the SQL server located?

If it is on the BPS server then you have to specify it and knot use the local name. Gets confusing I know.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

I'm not the most tech savvy, but it should all be located on one server....the same server has the blackberry software.   When I go to my SQL 2005 configuration I see SQLEXPRESS and another called BKUPEXEC (which I'm assuming is for my backup exec software).  I've tried enabling the TCP/IP and the Named Pipes thinking it might be a network communication issue. The only think I haven't done is download the microsft "A Strong password" fix that was in a previous thread on this message board......
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Task 1: Assign appropriate permissions

1. In the SQL Enterprise Manager, go to Microsoft SQL Servers > SQL Server Group > <SQL_server_name>.
  2. Expand the Microsoft SQL Server selection and expand Security.
  3. Right-click Logins and click New Login.
  4. Type the new name.

For Windows Authentication

1. On the General tab, click the button to the right of the Name field.

2. Select the new service account name from the Name list.
    3. Click Add.
    4. Click OK.

For Microsoft SQL Server Authentication

1. On the General tab, type the name of the Microsoft SQL Server account.
    2. Select the SQL Server Authentication option.
    3. Type the password for the Microsoft SQL Server account.
    4. Click Add.
    5. Click OK.
  5. From the Server Roles tab, select Server Administrators and Database Creators from the Server Role list.

Note: If you are running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 or later, adding the System Administrators role allows you to add BlackBerry smartphone users in a role-based administration environment. For instructions, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange: System Administration Guide.

6. On the Database Access tab, perform the following steps:
    1. Select the check box for the BlackBerry Configuration Database (for example, BESMgmt).
    2. In the Database Roles for <BlackBerry_Configuration_Database_name> list, select the db_owner check box.
  7. Close SQL Enterprise Manager.

Task 2: Update the BlackBerry Configuration Database schema

To update the BlackBerry Configuration Database schema, complete the following steps:

1. Download the installation package for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version you are using.
  2. Extract the contents.
  3. Copy the Database folder to the new Microsoft SQL Server.
  4. Modify the BlackBerry Configuration Database .cfg file (for example, BESMgmt.cfg).
  5. Open a command prompt and navigate to the Database directory.
  6. Type the following command for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version you are using:

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0 through 4.1

1. Type createdb.exe besmgmt.cfg.
  7. Run install OF bes software again
  8. Use sqlexpress\besmgmt for the database

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

ehull34 wrote:
I'm not the most tech savvy, but it should all be located on one server....the same server has the blackberry software.   When I go to my SQL 2005 configuration I see SQLEXPRESS and another called BKUPEXEC (which I'm assuming is for my backup exec software).  I've tried enabling the TCP/IP and the Named Pipes thinking it might be a network communication issue. The only think I haven't done is download the microsft "A Strong password" fix that was in a previous thread on this message board......

If you're seeing SQLEXPRESS, that is the name of the instance of SQL 2005 Express you are running. You will have to specify it in the installer.

On the screen where it asks for the SQL server, you need to put it in the form of server_name\instance_name. In your case, it will be server_name\SQLEXPRESS. Replace "server_name" with the name of the machine itself.

My Device:

[ Edited ]
only if the SQL permissinons let him do it.
Message Edited by knottyrope on 04-19-2009 11:07 PM

New Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback.  I will try these steps and see what happens.   Another dumb question.....I don't see an "Enterprise Manager", how do I open this?
New Contributor

This fixed it!  Everything else went off without a hitch.  Thank you so much for the advice!!