Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Should I be worried?

Hello All,

We currently are running Blackberry Professional Software on a Small Business Server 2003 box. Everything is fine, except maybe a few headaches here and there... not too often, and we only have 2 users so it's not a big deal (except maybe that it's the owner of the company and his wife). Hopefully, in a couple of weeks we will be receiving a new Small Business Server 2008 box (w/ Exchange 2007 of course). We just purchased this software with 5 CALs back in January when the owner and wife decided to buy matching Storms (how cute), and setting it up was painful (I had to do everything in 1 day, and have no experience using BlackBerry's so you can imagine).

Anyway, I have read online, in this forum, and in some compatibility matrix in www.blackberry.com that there are some issues with compatibility between BPS and SBS 2008/Exchange 2007:

- BPS cannot be installed in SBS 2008: This is a big one, because we won't have a spare 2003 box to install it on as we are installing Server 2008 on the server that is currently SBS 2003. How would we go about this? Can this software be installed in a Windows XP machine (I don't like the idea, but at this point I'd rather do this than have a more than stressful server migration)?

- Some service in Exchange 2007 crashes (Out of Office Assistant?): I've read that installing the software causes Exchange, or just one service in Exchange, to stop working. I also read that some actually experienced the server crashing and having to reboot.

Also, the way we want to set this up is have the Server 2008 box host all of our Databases (Sharepoint, BPS, etc) and I was wondering if having the DB in a separate server other than where the BPS is installed is supported?

Thank you for taking your time and reading this, and I hope someone can shed some light

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Should I be worried?

[ Edited ]

Enable Hyper-V on the SBS08 and create a virtual machine running Server 2003. Install BPS on the Virtual Machine. Also, follow the documentation on installing BPS on a machine separate from the server hosting Exchange 2007. 

No I wouldnt recommend installing it on an XP box. The installation guide for BPS 4.1.4 does not include XP in the software compatibility list. You are running BPS 4.1 right?

And yes, I believe it supports a remote database. There is an option during installation whether to create the database on the local machine or a different machine in the domain. You can point it to the SBS08. 

Message Edited by MerryBerry on 06-30-2009 08:34 PM
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Response in bold

srodriguez wrote:

Hello All,

We currently are running Blackberry Professional Software on a Small Business Server 2003 box. Everything is fine, except maybe a few headaches here and there... not too often, and we only have 2 users so it's not a big deal (except maybe that it's the owner of the company and his wife). Hopefully, in a couple of weeks we will be receiving a new Small Business Server 2008 box (w/ Exchange 2007 of course). We just purchased this software with 5 CALs back in January when the owner and wife decided to buy matching Storms (how cute), and setting it up was painful (I had to do everything in 1 day, and have no experience using BlackBerry's so you can imagine).Thats why you have us on the forums

Anyway, I have read online, in this forum, and in some compatibility matrix in www.blackberry.com that there are some issues with compatibility between BPS and SBS 2008/Exchange 2007:

- BPS cannot be installed in SBS 2008: This is a big one, because we won't have a spare 2003 box to install it on as we are installing Server 2008 on the server that is currently SBS 2003. How would we go about this?

VM ware or hyper V can work too on the same server Can this software be installed in a Windows XP machine Not a good idea and not supported (I don't like the idea, but at this point I'd rather do this than have a more than stressful server migration)?

- Some service in Exchange 2007 crashes (Out of Office Assistant?): Best to use outlook for it with BPS I've read that installing the software causes Exchange, or just one service in Exchange, to stop working. there would be posts on this if it were trueI also read that some actually experienced the server crashing and having to reboot. Can you show me this please.

Also, the way we want to set this up is have the Server 2008 box host all of our Databases (Sharepoint, BPS, etc) and I was wondering if having the DB in a separate server other than where the BPS is installed is supported? Seperate server hosting its own MSDE, SQL express 2005 or remote SQL 2005 or SQL 2005 express is supported. SQL 2008 is not yet supported

Thank you for taking your time and reading this, and I hope someone can shed some light

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

- I don't think we have a spare Server 2003 license, I would have to ask.

- We are running 4.1

- Thanks for the info!

Contributor

- Yes, I tried posting my question here I think, but since it was so urgent I couldn't really wait for someone to respond (it's like a slow game of ping-pong). We ended up opening a ticket with RIM (they provided 1 support case for free for buying the software).

- We didn't want to use Hyper-V because we didn't want the installation to be too complicated, but at this rate this is something we will have to consider.

- I figured XP is not supported and now that I think about it we don't have any spare XP machines

- Luckily both users always use Outlook, but there are some remote users (not blackberry users) who do log in via OWA... Is this going to be a problem?

- I think I read it, maybe I misinterpreted what the person tried to say

- If I find it, I will post the URL

- We will be using SQL 2005, thanks!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

- Luckily both users always use Outlook, but there are some remote users (not blackberry users) who do log in via OWA... Is this going to be a problem?

As long as their accounts are in exchange it will not be an issue for those users to get Email with BPS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hello Again,

My supervisor asked me to find out if the Foundations Server (I don't know the name exactly, is it Server Foundations?) supports BPS. From what I found online, this is also a 2008 server so right off the bat I will assume it does not support BPS. Please correct me if I'm wrong. We are trying to find a cheap solution to this HUMONGOUS problem.

Thank you!

Guru III
My Device:

Contributor

Thanks
Contributor

FYI

We were able to downgrade our Server 2008 Standard license to a 2003 through MS Volume Licensing.

I have one question though, how would I move my installation from one server to the other? Do I have to release the license from the current server and do a fresh install on the other? I remember seeing an article but I don't remember how to get to it.

Thanks again for all the help!